Love thoughts. . .



Ses Cheveux Courts  .  oil on canvas  .  30 x 24
 
The summer's erupting, endless world violence has really taken a toll on my peace of mind.  How about you?  It silences me in so many ways because it goes against all that I have been brought up to believe, and, in particular, seems to make null and void the struggle of so many who have strived, sacrificed and died for a more peaceful world.  The question becomes, "Why can't we all just get along?"  It seems impossible at the moment. . .

Religion and power dominates the impetus and makes it all quite ironic, doesn't it?  What has happened to love and loving others?  So many men, so angry.  What they [men] are inflicting on women and children defies the imagination in the worst way, and stirs me to wonder what this world would look like if women were lording over it all.  Perhaps that's just a pipe dream and it would all be the same, but I'm so very ready to see (any gender) leaders of compassion, not hate, common sense, not bluster, a vision for the future for all, not a tearing down of what has been built.  The suffering of so many gives rise to heartache. . .

So, as a working artist, I've been trying to create a more peaceful world surrounding my daily life.  Giving more smiles and hugs.  Reaching outward, rather than inward, although the inclination is to be in the fetal position!  Listening to soothing sounds versus the unbelievable excuse we have for news these days - too constant, too strident, too slanted, too inflammatory.  Made to order to inflame and on steroids, as it's all about money and ratings, the race to be first.  Opinion "news" simply leads us down the road to unfettered stress while lining the pockets of just a few in front of cameras.
  

No, I'm not turning a blind eye to reality, painting pretty pictures and forgetting the world, but does anyone really know what reality and truth is these days?  Where do you get your truth?  I'm getting mine from my family, my friends, my work.  I'm putting my faith and trust in what's closest to my heart.  Staying in a constant state of feeling overwhelmed and helpless doesn't help anyone - I hope you have found some way to cope and perhaps create some kind of an oasis where you can feel safe, and perhaps while there take the opportunity to reach out and help someone. 
 
I recently pitched in and helped my daughter and her family move across their state - I also returned my mind to the past, a time when the future seemed good and decent and a sure thing - hence the recently completed portrait featured above of my daughter when she was in her teenage years, squinting into the sun, or future? 
 
Love thoughts were aplenty while painting this. . .
 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular Posts