Autumn's stillness. . .

Elizabeth Gilmour McLean
October 29, 1965  - October 18, 2010

The world goes on as it must, summer now in the rear view mirror while we're officially well into the hush of autumn.  Drifting leaves, cold mist and darker days leads one to find comfort in the simple act of opening the front door and feeling, at last, they are home - the simple life beckons and we tuck in relishing the closeness of family and friends.  
 
I recently completed the featured portrait of Elizabeth, after making the acquaintance of her mother through a friend.  As always, I'm particularly moved by the complexity of life, the unspoken fragility that lies just beneath the surface - some of us, if extremely fortunate, will escape the unspeakable loss of a tender child.  
 
As the years go by, we realize this is not uncommon in the circles we now travel, and I am struck that from the storm and shock of grief comes great kindness.  It is etched on the faces of those who have experienced deep loss, while that same resolute grace continues to ripple out to others.  
 
A love to which there is no reply but in the mind remains a beautiful gift - to be embraced, felt, carried, lost and found.
 
I hope this portrait conveys Elizabeth's inner glow as she was a warm, courageous and beautiful woman - a mother, a daughter, a sister, a wife.  I'm sure those who knew and loved her think of her when they see a miracle of nature, a sky blue day, the ocean's waves, a star-filled night, a rose unfurling, a bird calling - she is forever in their hearts and minds.
 
"You left in autumn
The leaves were turning
I walked down roads of orange and gold
I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You're still here beside me
Everyday
'Cause I know you by heart."
 
  As sung by Eva Cassidy - "I Know You by Heart"
 written by    
~Terrance Harrison and Margaret Nelson~
 
 
    


Comments

  1. She is so lovely and looking at this I just know I would have loved to have been her friend....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts