Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather .  20 x 20  .  oil on linen canvas
Our North Carolina weather has been pretty strange this year, but I actually titled this 20 x 20 painting, Stormy Weather.  A little bit of narrative going on here using my granddaughter as muse and not going for a likeness at all, but instead telling a story.  

Girls and women this year are taking center stage, and how exciting it's been to see all telling their truth and achieving their goals.  I have never shied away from the label of "feminist" even though I pretty much detest labels of any kind.  But, I've always believed in the things that just come naturally to the male gender - if a woman, you know you've always had to strive harder for recognition, equal pay, general fairness, myths regarding the female sex and stereotypes.  The list is endless and I shall not attempt it, but for all the progress made, there will always be stormy weather ahead as change frightens a lot of folk. 

I so hope my granddaughter's young life will be entirely different and more fair in regard to gender, hence the painting.  I made sure to put in a path to symbolize hope -  there will always be a way!  The breezy motion was a challenge to paint, but I think you can get the drift - at least I hope you can.

Moving on to the animal world. . .

My goat paintings continue to be popular, so I painted "Lillian" to continue the legacy!

Lillian  .  10 x 8  .  oil on Arches paper mounted on panel


Detail  .  Lillian  .  oil on Arches paper, mounted on panel

I'm grateful that she has already found a forever home.
  I got new photos of goats up at the Crossnore Barn here in Winston, so there will be more coming in the future.  I find their faces to be incredibly singular - they speak to me!  

I just finished (yesterday) a new "animal" work that represents our faithful dog companions -  how they patiently wait for their humans to come home, to come back. That unconditional love adds what we long for, and many of my friends have lost their wonderful pets this past year.  I know that sorrow all too well and so admire those who give their animals a really great home.  It's all about love.  I titled the painting "Waiting."
Waiting  .  20 x 10  .  oil on linen canvas

I say it's finished, but having just taken it off the easel yesterday, you never know!  The best tip, of course, is to put your painting aside for a few days and visit it again - it's amazing how you want to change things and see it all so differently.  Not only has painting really taught me patience and mindfulness - it's also taught me to look deeper. 

Wishing all a lovely spring. . .




Comments

Popular Posts