June Update With New Work

 

Maggie  .  11" x 14"  .  oil on RayMar linen on Aluminum

A new portrait commission came along and this young lady's soulfulness lived with me for weeks as I painted her.  Capturing the essence of someone who is literally blooming into her incredibly meaningful years ahead is truly what an artist dreams about painting.  So grateful, always, to be asked to paint.

Her gaze has captured all, and it's going to be beyond lovely to witness her future. 


Pilot Mountain Sunset  .  8"x10"  .  oil on linen canvas

I have a patron who spent summers in North Carolina, and who now lives in New York state.  She asked if I would paint Pilot Mountain as it symbolized many happy family memories for her. . .the reason so many of us have paintings in our collections, right?  We love to be reminded of things/places/people.  It's the legacy of our lives, is it not?  

I was given free reign and I decided on a sunset (because I love to paint the drama) with the familiar Sauratown Mountain peaks in the distance from the Big Pinnacle.  The Saura Tribe and other Native Americans used the Pilot Mountain Pinnacle as a landmark for trade routes, as did subsequent settlers of the region.  Located in Surry County, North Carolina, Pilot Mountain became a National Natural Landmark in 1976.     


Sunny Day, Dream Away  .  12" x 12"  .  oil on Gessobord

Last but not least, a palette knife only work.  I felt the need to break free, to experiment, not only with color, but with technique...no brushes allowed!  This painting checked off all the boxes.  Of late I've fallen in love with palette knife work and intend on doing more in the future.  Larger and with exciting color is my dream. 

BUT, at the moment my time and energy is being absorbed by the need to find a new home.  My rental lease is up August 25th and the press is on to find a new home.  The housing climate right now is NOT friendly to one who lives alone and has need of a painting space in their home.  Rental prices are sky high right now and if you too are looking for a long-term rental, I feel your pain.  Meanwhile I have another new portrait commission to complete, then literally all my attention will be on the need to have a roof over my head.  I'm fully expecting to not paint again until early fall.  I truly am uncertain about my future, but shall try to remain optimistic on some level.

Thank you for always being so kind and supportive!



Comments

Popular Posts