June through December 2022

 

Sofia . 11 x 14 . oil on portrait linen

It's been a few months since I last posted!  I moved home and studio within the same town at the end of August which pretty much took the starch out of me.  But the painting continued with a moving sale out of my Etsy shop that turned out to be a life saver, both financially and not having to move even MORE inventory!  Here's a commission I finished right before my move of the beautiful Sofia who lives in balmy Florida  She was a joy to paint; her mother is a great photographer, so I was provided with wonderful reference.  



Beauty and Grace . 10 x 16 x 1.5 . oil on gallery wrap canvas

This painting, Beauty and Grace, was the first painting in my new place.  A little out of my wheelhouse, but being a lover of wildlife of any kind, I got right to work as this had been on my bucket list for quite some time. Coincidentally, Queen Elizabeth passed away right about the time I was into this painting, and it just all seemed fitting. Being half British the Queen reigned large in my life and she personified the meaning of grace to me. She also had affection for swans. 


Breakthrough . 8 x 10 x 1.5 . oil on gallery wrap canvas

My love of low country landscapes at the golden hour continues.  This one seemed to paint itself. 


A Bad Day at the Beach . 9 x 12 . oil on linen canvas

What a fun commission!  These little cousins were having an unexpected bad day at the beach. Commissioned by their grandmother with love as this memory is indeed a memory because the girls are all young ladies now! I think we've all been there, right? Grandmother titled it!


Lucy . 20 x 20 . oil on linen canvas

A new commission came in requesting another goat in a ruff. . .Lucy has a slimmer face than her predecessor, and is lighter along with touches of goat femininity! The intelligent eyes of goats makes for a real statement piece.  It's hard to look away. . .


Dogwood and Cicada . 10 x 8 . oil on canvas

Yet another commission that was a pleasure to paint. Being a lover of all things green, this was heaven. Bringing the Cicada to life was great fun and the Dogwood blossoms after a rain shower was icing on the cake for an artist.


What the Spirit Reaches For (Roses II) . 8 x 10 . oil on linen canvas

I started with the center rose and then went on from there. . .composing all the way until I felt it was finished. After letting it sit for a few days, I went back in and added some glazes where I thought it would add something to the painting. In the last year or two I've started painting intuitively, and I find it's the most relaxing of all my painting experiences.


It Was a Good Day . 8 x 10 x 1.5 . oil on gallery wrap canvas

Having never really painted an active surf, I decided to give this scene from Maine a chance! There's a lot of texture in this one and I really love the mood it set after a few glazes.  Another setting sun, but I make no apologies.


Where Essence Resides . 9 x 12 x 1.5 . oil on gallery wrap canvas

Last, but not least for 2022.  Another landscape composed on the fly after massing in the lower right trees.  I had painted another misty mountain painting a couple of years ago. . .now sold. I really wanted to have a go at another, and hope to do more of these in the future. That and more rose paintings. Well, also portraits and low country paintings!  SO many choices and so little time.  

After the "year of the move" I'm extremely grateful for how it all turned out, and simply for the fact that I can continue the work I love. The new year brings new beginnings, the turning of a page, if you will, where we can leave behind the things that no longer serve us.  I'm looking forward to learning more about my craft and continuing my journey made possible by patrons along with very good friends and dear family. There is no doubt I'm blessed and I do hope 2023 brings good health, an important measure of peace and much love to all.

Thank you, as always. . .



Comments

Popular Posts