January to May 2024 Update

 



Blogger has, unfortunately, become harder and harder to navigate and create.  Just not an easy platform to use these days.  I mainly keep this site in order to record my work, especially for loved ones.  Hence, I've not written personally in a long time, but am merely recording the work.  So here's an update on the work I've been creating since the turn of the year, in no particular order I might add!  

The painting above is titled Uniquely Herself and is a 12" x 9" oil on linen covered board.  A departure for me and I loved painting it, leaving the palette knife work until the underpainting had dried.  Held my breath on this one at the end, but happily it was selected as part of the FAV 15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries) in the February, 2024 Bold Brush Painting competition!


Luminous Grace is another 9"x12" oil on linen covered board, painted solely as an exercise for painting hands.  I've said it before, that when painting any kind of figurative work, sans the total nude, there is a necessity to also paint clothing, backgrounds, still life elements, etc.  So keeping the off white clothing soft, light and filmy also turned out to be a challenge!


I finally joined the craze of painting breaking waves. . .I know I'm late to the party, but this is just the beginning (I think!) of more ocean wave paintings. Not as easy as it looks, of course, but satisfying to bring to life. This one is simply titled Breaking and is another 9" x 12" oil on linen covered board.


Keeping with the water interest, I painted this woodland river scene with beautiful jewel colored water creating rapids on the White Salmon River, hence the title White Salmon River Rapids, an 8" x 10" oil on linen covered board.


Silence is Golden was the first painting of 2024, as we were still in the depth of wintry weather and the melancholy aftermath of the holidays.  This is my third painting of a misty, foggy forest which comes from my deep love of trees and forest, the first two having found homes already.  It seems I'm not the only one who loves this type of painting to gaze upon! 


 Needing to paint a still life, and an orchid to boot came together in this painting, titled simply as White Orchid, a 12" x 12" oil on panel.  My white orchid provided the reference, as I have tons of photos of it when blooming before I moved.  Sadly it has not chosen to bloom in its new surroundings, but I'm working on it!  Fingers crossed.


Hannah and Hydrangeas, is a 12" x 9" oil on linen board.  It's impossible to photograph showing all the texture from knife work!  Hannah was a server at an Italian restaurant and was kind enough to give me permission to photograph her with rights.  As this painting evolved, I went in an Asian direction, mainly because of how Hannah wore her striking dark hair.  


Picnic Island, is an 8" x 10" oil on linen covered board.  Thoughts of summer and long ago days brought this painting into fruition. Those Florida days of living inland and at the beach  enjoying river days with boyfriends, canoes, boats and fishing, etc.  Life seemed easy and full of endless outdoor outings!    

If reading, best wishes for a lovely summer!






Comments

Popular Posts