In the continuing saga. . .

Boy, it's been quiet around here. . .I was rendered mute after the melee of the mid-term elections and all the dirty dust that was stirred up.  I refuse to get into politics, especially on MY blog about art and life. . .but it sincerely appears that no one plays "nice" anymore. . .whether right, left, center, upside down or down under!

I consistently found myself thinking I was relieved my parents (long deceased and dearly missed) were not witness to the low levels of graceless sniping that has enveloped our beautiful country and particularly the air waves.  Can you imagine such a thought?  I grew up with the "Queen" and "Daniel Boone". . .yes, my dad's real name. . .and mom, being English with all her porcelain beauty,  encompassed the epitome of charm and what's proper.  Dad was weaned on honesty, goodness and integrity. . .a born leader. . .so, yes, I wax nostalgic when exposed to the underbelly of our contemporary life and mightily question if this is progress!  Dare I think that the lack of civility in our culture will swing back to a more respectful level?  I can dream, can't I?

Naturally my tender artist heart turned to the studio gasping for something that resonated with beauty and innocence. . .my granddaughter.  I've been attempting to catch her likeness in a new small portrait.  I thought I'd be brave and show you the progression. . .keep in mind that it's totally terrifying to look upon portraits that are not complete.  I will continually state, swear and uphold that it's not done until the final brush stroke.  .  .until the final highlight has been rendered and you actually feel that you've done the best you can.  This portrait is far from completion, but as I always say, "It's getting there."  So, now you can peek at the progression:





Here you'll see the initial drawing. . .raw umber is scumbled on the background so that I'm not staring at a white canvas!  I've laid in a thin layer of  "skin" to give me an idea of the shadows and highlights.  In the original photo her hair is wet and pulled back into a pony tail. . .an unusual look for her, but I found it captivating. . .maybe even lending a hint of her future older self!














In this photo you'll see an evolving fictitious background, that may or may not stay, but I just wanted to get something back there.  Then I worked on her dress and the little knit flower pin that's attached.  Another layer of skin color was painted on to build depth.


 





And here's a snippet of the painting with even more paint and modeling done on everything. . .skin, dress, pin, and the beginning of hair.  She is sans eyelashes at the moment, but her facial contours were refined, her eye color deepened and her face was generally spiffed all over with another layer of paint.  Next session will involve intense work on the eyes and eyebrows along with her hair, along with finding a softness of expression. . .hence the whole face will be considered again.  Sometimes it is one stroke of paint that makes a difference!  Last, but not least, I will consider the background and make changes that I feel will complement her. 

Something is beginning to emerge here and I shall look forward to sharing the completed portrait very soon!    

Meanwhile seek out what you love and cherish. . .wishing you peace.

Comments

  1. I love this, seeing your beautiful work in progress. Its truly amazing to me the genius behind it! I so want you to paint my babies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts