Experimenting. . .tiny jewels


I've been experimenting with some new paints I recently acquired. . .the "radiants" from Gamblin.  Marsh #1 ( 8 x 10, oil) above is an example of how I'm learning to use these paints, such as in the overlay of clouds on the left (Radiant Blue) and the use of Radiant White to pop certain areas in the landscape and clouds.  I've had Radiant Blue in my toolbox for quite a while now, but recently added the white and green. . .what fun!  A shout out thank you to artist Karin Jurick for her recommendation via YouTube. 

Naturally, with anything new there's a thin line between judicious use and going completely crazy!  Sweet temptation is there to dip the brush one more time and just add a little here or there or everywhere.  Resist, resist!   I'm soon to be traveling the marshes of the Savannah and Charleston area for new reference photos and small quick studies.  I'm hoping to capture the landscape essence and mood with the aid of these new paints. 

Meanwhile I'm finishing a still life and a portrait in the studio. . .continuing to polish my oil painting knowledge and skills, while my watercolor inventory is scheduled for two exhibits this spring and near fall.  The very hint of warmer, plant-potting weather on the horizon gives a lift to the spirits and a spring to the brush.  

I would be remiss if I didn't express that I'm throttled with feelings of helplessness as I watch far away nations' youth climb out of the depths of oppression and abuse. I ran across the following quote that enables me to write about painting pictures. . .I'd like to share it.

In times of unrest and fear, it is perhaps the writer's duty to celebrate, to single out some of the values we can cherish, to talk about some of the few warm things we know in a cold world. - - Phyllis McGinley 

  
    

Comments

Popular Posts