What draws us in. . .Sargent's former nest

Sargent's Tite Street Studio now ~ photo by Derry Moore for Wmagazine

Loving design. . .interior, exterior, posterior, anterior - sigh - this image caught my eye immediately.  First I was attracted to the muted palette along with comfy furnishings you could actually live with, sink into. . .then my eye started to take in the ART on the walls (naturally), the piano (yes, I played as a child) and finally the WINDOW.  That glorious window letting in all that light.  Did I mention the fireplace?  Every great room deserves a fireplace.  Well, this is how one thing leads to another. . .

One click and I discovered This is John Singer Sargent's Tite Street London address, now owned and lovingly restored by Sir Evelyn and Lady de Rothschild.  That explained the window.

You will find conflicting dates regarding Sargent's former home and studio. . .it appears he may have taken lease on this address in 1885 or 1887, whereupon he remained for the rest of his life; that part is not disputed.  There's talk that he expanded into the space next door or vice versa. . .that he had the next door space then expanded into this actual space.  It doesn't matter to me. . .but I do imagine the allure of painting in front of this window was too strong for this to NOT be his former 19th century studio; that there wasn't an easel set in front of this window at some time or another! 

The Wmagazine article (www.wmagazinecom/artdesign/2008/01/rothschildsdescribes the Rothschild's attention and refurbishing of this illustrious space, making it into their own nest.  Check it out.  I can scarcely imagine living in such a place where Sargent lived and worked, can you?  It's magical to me, not only for the history, but how this particular space provided sustenance and comfort for such a gifted man!  The sound of brush sweeping across canvas!  And if you possess a voyeur heart and time to waste, go to Google Earth and find Tite Street in London. . .do the street view, take a walk on the wild side.  And speaking of wild, Oscar Wilde was a neighbor! 

Alas, apparently Sargent ran out of the luxury of undisturbed privacy at this address and in 1895 he leased the larger Fulham Road Studio to paint in while still keeping his residence on Tite. While searching  aimlessly on the Web, for something needed/wanted in my daily life, I was instantly drawn to the picture of this modern wonderful living space, hence leading me back in time to Sargent

At work again:  the serendipity of what draws us in. 
I love it!


Comments

Popular Posts