Nostalgia for the transparent medium. . .

Mangoes, 17 x 30, watercolor on paper

Today I delivered paintings to the Cabarrus Arts Council in Concord, NC, for an upcoming show, "Making Arrangements."   I was met by artist and Visual Arts Director, Lin Barnhardt and his assistant, Sandy.  Lovely, lovely people sharing a zest for art and a well-earned understanding of artists.  As the idiom goes, "it takes one to know one."  The older I get, the more I realize how all the old "sayings" of our childhood, teen years, (parents!) etc., are proving to be profoundly correct,  and oddly I find myself referring to those old-fashioned (?) "sayings" or quotations quite often!  Ha, I am not alone:  "what goes around comes around" made all the more true as evidenced by the uber-modern Katy Perry's "It Takes One to Know One" song!  Need I say more? 

Anyway, while delivering my transparent watercolor paintings total nostalgia washed over me for my watercolor days. . .my first love, my true romance.  

Some unseen (but keenly felt since childhood) compass was guiding me towards making art and I STARTED with watercolor, not knowing squat about its proclaimed difficulty!  I've always been a late bloomer, so to speak.  Perhaps I would not have gotten off the ground with it if I had known its reputation. . .hmm - scary thoughtMe putting limitations on me.  (I'm good at that!)  Anyway, by trial and great error I spent the next twelve years growing my style, knowledge and technique. . .Driving Myself to learn the medium and to say something beautiful.  Nothing more profound or lofty than that. . .I do hope that's not disappointing.  I like beauty.

My community richly supported me and I was rewarded with being able to make lasting impressions that were chosen to reside mainly in homes, in living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, stair landings, over fireplaces. . .homes filled with family, tradition, beauty and love.  
I still get a note or email every now and then from someone telling me how much they love "their" painting and what it means to them.  Priceless.

On the gliding hour drive home listening to my Sacred Treasures CD, I reflected on my watercolor journey. . .the vast surprise of it all and how grateful I am to have traveled that particular road.  Now deep into oil painting, I'm hearing the siren song of watercolor.  I still have beautiful paper downstairs. . .

to be continued?

Comments

Popular Posts