Northern Exposure and Moose

Oh my. . .Moose! . 6" x 6" . oil on museum quality canvas on panel
free shipping & display easel included
$150.00
I may have previously mentioned that my "kids" (ahem, actually they are adults) had given me the first two seasons of the 1990-1995 TV series Northern Exposure on DVD.  Joy, joy, joy. . .the episodes are wonderful and so enlightening 21 years later.  Does that seem possible?  This was TV 21 years ago?  I liked it (TV) MORE back then.  Not hard to do considering the vast wasteland of mindless, violent junk on TV today. . .in my not so subtle opinion.

Anyway, here's my small tribute to the opening titles. . .you know, where the moose is wandering downtown, pausing in front of Roslyn's Cafe (in Roslyn, Washington) wall mural. YES. . .the show was actually shot in Washington instead of its TV-land Alaska setting!  I love that opening and I've always loved that moose. . .call me crazy (this is the new trend, by the way. . ."call me crazy!") but he makes me smile, sometimes chuckle!  Now that I've read up on moose, I realize the attraction.

1.  They are solitary animals and don't form herds.
2.  They are herbivores.

Creatures close to my own make-up! 

More facts:  the opening titles' moose was named Mort, (really?  I thought it was a female!)provided by Washington State University where he was part of a captive herd.  Much better to think of Mort not being exposed to wolves, bears and humans. . .these predators are quick to take their toll on moose.  If lucky, moose live 15-25 years and stand 6-7 feet at their shoulder. 

It's safe to say Children are drawn to these wonderful animals. . .their walk, their spindly legs, that incredible face, their slow rambling countenance just instills giggles. 
  Children are so wise.

Comments

Popular Posts