Time to get it done. . .

Ace Basin Parkway/Hwy 17 South Carolina, 12 x 24, oil on panel

Yesterday I put finishing touches on the painting above. . .the reference photo was taken with my digital THROUGH the CAR WINDOW just a couple of weeks ago.  Now, I don't recommend this practice as yes, I was driving!  But I was in a stream of traffic making  my way to Interstate 95 from Charleston.  I have always loved this particular area. . .when heading west the "dinosaur-type land" suddenly appears as you break from tree cover, right before you cross the river.  I'm sorry to say it's either the Ashepoo or Combahee; cannot remember!  There was no stopping or pulling over. . .there's a tiny shoulder and now it's planted with fresh grasses after construction; there was no way I could drive over those baby lime green shoots without squirming. 

 Oddly there's another dinosaur-type spot of land in Florida on Interstate 4. . .somehow I  have ALWAYS envisioned scads of  Brontosauruses lumbering along and munching their plant-based diet on these two distinct areas of land!  I digress. . .



Also, in an effort to get it done, I finished up with this small portrait yesterday.  .  . finishing touches that make a difference and tell me that I have nothing left to say.  This was quick and done over a linen canvas that had an underpainting of leftover paint from the last month.  Here you can really see those swipes and strokes underneath:



I've quite decided that I like this painterly look and oddly it looks fresh to me.  Probably not acceptable for a commissioned portrait, but very interesting for figurative type work. 

Then my eyes drifted over to another small painting that had been bugging me. . .oh the joy of being a studio painter, or not!  You get to gaze upon those images that just aren't speaking to you and there's a second chance.  So, I made some small changes to my Florida Marsh painting and I'm liking it better. 


Here's a quote I'd like to share. . .in this 2011 world of scary price tags on everything from our health care to gas, to food, to our precious environment. . .not to mention the constant bickering chatter about it all.  It's from Mike Dooley:

In all of time and space, can you think of anything more valuable than just another day? 

Get it done!


Comments

Popular Posts