Perseverance and art. . .

Biltmore Roses, 22 x 30, watercolor - private collection

There are times when I seriously get to thinking about my life, what it takes to create, to survive, where I'm going, etc., etc.  I don't recommend anyone doing this on a regular basis as it can sometimes lead to less than the desired outcome!  This recent meditation on "my life" came at the end of reading the biography of Andrew Wyeth entitled Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life by Richard Meryman.  

Andy. . .a seriously driven mysterious man is not an understatement. . .with a family life outside  the norm and his creative life often over-shadowed by his artist father, coupled with his uncompromising commitment. . .his life force, if you will, came from painting.  The singular perseverance of it all shouted "overwhelming" at times. . .I mean it just jumped off the page nearly taking your breath away. 

You had to wonder, looking up from the bio pages and the photos of his unique paintings that echoed his vision. . .is this what it took?  The eating, breathing, sleeping of ideas, ideas, ideas. . .sometimes demons, demons, demons, in his case. . .oh, and a wife who took care of all those other details in life beyond paper, brushes and paint.   We cannot overlook the value of that little detail.  You know, "behind every great man. . . ."

This is what I know and it only applies to this artist:  I do sacrifice face time with friends and family to paint.  I too lose myself for hours in the quest to accomplish what I have in my mind. . .to put it on canvas or paper.  How to create a feeling?  Not just an image! 

I dream about painting. . .I read about painting. . .I study paintings and (ouch) I have become mostly a "Johnny One Note" in the quest to get better at expressing myself through painting.  Dear friends and family, forgive me.

It's enough to drive one right off the edge at times, not to mention the inevitable consequence of dwindling social skills.  Don't get me wrong. . .this is not a direct comparison to the celebrated Andrew Wyeth and his life. . .this is just thinking out loud about what it takes to make art.  Perseverance is a huge part. . .the continued, patient effort (according to Webster's) to create the vision of how you see something.  Andy had it in spades. . .whether virtue or vice is a verdict left for others to decide.

I am challenged by a particular painting at the moment, and that challenge is not only the life force but also the life dimming of me right now. . .seeing it through to the end is a must and I trust I will soon be back on solid ground.  I do LOVE it. . .this roller coaster ride of stretching until you think you cannot make it happen, then magically it all comes together.  That's what a few years of art making does for you. . .it gives you the freedom to continue through doubt and fear, believing in the process and being absorbed to the point of being led totally astray.
 A road less traveled?  Maybe, but one that jumped up and chose me. 



Comments

Popular Posts