Potent Power of the Written Word. . .

Love Letters . watercolor . 29" x 40" . inspired by my parents' love letters
Can it be that in the midst of the hate-filled, uncensored spew of (often) less than truthful TV/radio soundbites of late, we can turn ourselves to the more powerful persuasion of the written word?  I submit that the written word is at an all-time high, despite turning our backs on "snail" mail.    

Fact:  between all of the media choices of today, sometimes it seems there's TOO MUCH to read - how will I ever get through it all?  What might I miss that's important or relevant? 

"How did we ever live without taking our laptop/iPad/smartphone/Chromebook, etc., to bed?" might the younger generation ask.  Confession - yes I do.

I stay in a perpetual like/love/hate relationship with the conveniences of today.  But at times the very personal written word mailed with a stamp fills my world with the soulfulness it needs, especially in response to my painting:

"Remember true value is in the eyes of the beholder.  In this case, you have done me a great service that money will not repay.  Now I have her beautiful face to see every time I go up or down the stairs.  That is worth more to me than all of the money in the world." 

"Words just can't express how I feel.  The painting almost talks to you.  I think A. will cry when he sees it.  Thank you, thank you." 

"Thank you for creating such beautiful artwork for my home."

"It (a portrait) turned out amazing and more than we hoped for.  We appreciate all the time and effort that was put into our family treasure. We look forward to working with you again and hopefully with other future children too."

"Wow!  The portrait of G. is such an amazing likeness and how lucky we are to have it gracing our mantle now!"

"Thank you for putting me so permanently and happily in touch with  my daughter.  I embrace you."

From time immemorial we have relied upon the beauty of the written word, receiving sustenance offered when most needed, courage when there is little, healing from tender words scribed on a page, happiness and joy punctuated with an exclamation point.  A tangible note slipped through my door by the postman can put me on top of the world.  Such a lovely potent gift...








  



Comments

Popular Posts