Out of my mind. . .

The Romance of Gourds . 8" x 8" . oil on panel  


Not quite literally "out of my mind" but in the form of mentally coming down off of a commission requiring likeness on three subjects, I landed on a small still life project that asked nothing of me except to mindlessly wander in creation. 

The "gourds" were begun this past fall when you couldn't go to the grocery and not be tempted by the gourd displays!  I never had the chance to complete this small painting, as I was extremely fortunate to have commissions come my way that necessitated meeting deadlines and expectations.  Over the months the gourds actually morphed into other colors (one meeting it's demise totally) so that when it came time to look at this painting again, I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed! 

Suddenly, and this happens sooooo often, it came to me that the small painting had to be about the light.  I set to work modifying the original colors, brushed in a wall versus the original set up on a mirror causing reflection and finally utilized some glazing to get at my vision.

When asked by curious people (love them) or other artists (love them too) about my best advice in regard to painting, I always respond by saying, "Don't give up, keep going, keep pushing."  A painting most often looks its worse in the middle of the process - don't throw it out.  Keep painting to see your unique vision evolve. 

My dogwoods are blooming and I'm painting gourds - I'm a season or two out of step, but there's something entirely freeing about re-creating an original vision.  Just exactly what I needed.       



Comments

Popular Posts