Sneak Peek. . .and random thoughts

Untitled as of yet - detail of new painting in progress!

Some things, some people, some scenes, simply beg to be painted.  I'm finally getting around to the above featured snippet.  This happens to be family and more details will come!  Dare I say I'm not the only quirky one in the family? (Smile)

As those who follow know, it's good to "not judge a book by its cover."  This is just the beginning of a new portrait, albeit a different, more whimsical one. 

I'm also working on a new "tiny jewel" painting of an Alaska scene that will go into the Etsy shop when completed.  Heavens no, I didn't visit Alaska, but a couple of good friends did quite recently - they have given their kind permission to paint whatever I like from their photo collections.  It goes without saying that I am extremely appreciative of their generosity. 

Speaking of my Etsy shop - when I ship your small painting, I take the time to wrap it accordingly.  A small easel for display ships with it and shipping in the U.S. is included in my prices.  Imagine that!



  I use PayPal exclusively in my shop for security and ease. 
www.Etsy.com/shop/SandyDonnArt

Warning:  stop reading if you're not up to

Random Thoughts/Serious Thoughts
Deep in the weeds.
(A friend recently felt I was too deep in the weeds!) 
At times I do wander from the perpetual dizziness of an
uplifting-quotation-filled life.

We have once again today plunged back to near freezing weather after a teasing day of Spring-like weather yesterday.  I don't talk to a person these days who doesn't remark on the crazy weather!  Methinks we should all pay attention. . .

Yesterday I heard an NPR program about the prescription drug Adderall - how college (and high school!) students take it to achieve - how common it is - reported to help raise your letter grade a couple of notches.  VERY seductive, VERY dangerous.  Kids who have not been prescribed Adderall.  For those students who were vaguely aware of it, now they will be fully vetted!   Sigh.  My first thought - could this explain all the young male suicides that seem to be so prevalent? 

Are we taking care of the children?  Why do we neglect, turn our heads away regarding their very basic needs?  A good education, good health care, their very safety. 
 Something seems very, very wrong when we can't all agree to do something after small children are killed in their classrooms. 

When folks talk about contraceptives, I climb the walls wanting someone to take it out of the abstract and just say "WHO is going to take care of all the unwanted babies?"  Would anyone want their own child subjected to a  foster home, orphanage, adoption agency. . .being overlooked, unloved, not chosen based upon perhaps skin color, age, a mole on the arm, whatever?   
When did you last hear a substantial discussion on children left in institutions to be adopted - are you aware of the state of these institutions? 
Now that would be a subject worth exploring so we can all be educated. 
Let's talk about the children NOT chosen.

I'm so NOT brave.  An artist by the name of Jane Semmel, who is 80 this year, has often painted herself, erotica, etc.  But she's, more importantly, painting herself in the nude - presenting the older woman like we never think of or see.  She has a current show at the Bronx museum, but really, it's quite astonishing and something I can't quite wrap my mind around.  Some of us are destined to be able to face ourselves and life without question, reservation.  I admire that in others and applaud whatever it is (cell? protoplasm? DNA?) that serves up such bravery.  Is there another word for it?

Is rude "in" now?
 
 Okay - enough of that.  Aren't you glad?

 

Comments

Popular Posts