What we do for love. . .

Last evening I loaded, then unloaded ten large watercolor paintings to be in and amongst other artist's works for a two-hour event scheduled for tonight, here locally in Winston Salem.  The weather was iffy yesterday - a little moisture that was at the same time snowflakes and sleet - not ideal weather for shuffling works around that are framed under glass! 

Tonight it will be near freezing and I do hope the more fortified and stronger "go forth" folks will attend this event.  This is what artists do for a little love.  Well, not love exactly, but you get my drift.  We schlep our work here and there and everywhere, hoping for a bite, a nibble. 

It brings to mind my childhood fishing days with a cane pole and the red and white round bobber on the end - waiting for it to suddenly dive beneath the surface, hence bringing forth all kinds of surprises, action, things that required doing after standing or sitting still for so long!  It will come as no surprise that I really didn't care for fishing - the whole kit and caboodle of it - I went along in the camaraderie of family outings.  Showing my art is the same - I go along in the camaraderie of fellow artists. 

"Instructions for living a life.
Pay attention,
Be astonished,
Tell about it."
~ Mary Oliver
 
This could also apply to fishing, could it not? 
 
The "pay attention" part is important.  As I stood around at the Hampton House Gallery's lovely opening reception for their annual fundraiser, Small Heart, Big Heart (for the local non-profit, Aids Care Service) I was off in my own world discussing art with a new artist friend.  To hear my name announced for Best in Show came with complete astonishment.
So, now I'm telling about it:
 
Marsh #1 .  8" x 10" . oil on panel
The last thing I won was a cake at a church basement raffle when I was about six-years-old, so you can imagine how I felt. 
Okay, in truth, I've had a couple of other pieces singled out for awards, but it's all in proportion to how often and willing I am to stick my neck out to be judged.  It's what I admire most about fellow artists:  they strip down and are vulnerable after they have created with such personal passion and devotion. 
So, thank you all for liking my little painting, and feeling the love of its creation.
 
And in the continuing saga, I've just completed another portrait - kind of portrait - not your normal portrait!  The winsome model is my Scottish cousin Kat who has discovered the challenge of a roller derby league.  Here she is in her fierce "Grizabelta" make-up with the mysterious number 42 on her sleeve.  To understand the complexity, you'd have to be familiar with the production of "Cats" and the popular culture surrounding the number 42.  Yes, I'm never too old to learn new things and am once again astonished by young people and their worldliness. . .
 
42 is the Answer . oil on panel . 14" x 11"
So that's all the "telling" I'm doing today - it's cold here in my office - the coldest room in my house, sigh.  So, I'm off to make a cup of tea and do hope my "fishing bobber" dives beneath the surface tonight.  Send good karma please - it's very much needed and I'm already grateful.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Hi Sandy!
    Such a happy event at Hampton House Galley-especially seeing you and re-creating our acquaintance...it had been such a long, long time.
    Congratulations on your "Best in Show"!
    Your artist friend
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven - Yes, it was a lovely event and so good to see you. Thank you for your comment. Art has been put on hold for the next couple of weeks while I accomplish a move here locally. . .hopefully I'll be back in the saddle before too long. Sending my very best, S.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts