The Alaska Series continues. . .

Alaska Outpost - living on the edge  .  9 x 12  .  oil on panel
 
I've recently finished this small landscape - another in my ongoing Alaska series.  No, I haven't been to Alaska, but a good friend and fabulous photographer goes quite often.  He shares his photos with friends, and he has kindly given me permission to paint his gems.  This particular site, he tells me, is looking down at Kachemak Bay in Homer, Alaska.  My first thought when I saw his photo, was "Whoa. . .that's living out there, on the EDGE!" 
 
What I edited out (artistic privilege!) when painting this view was a couple of small outbuildings (cabins?) to the left of the main outpost and another house just below the red flower area. . .along with a couple of (much needed I'm sure) vehicles.  How spectacular it must be to witness the curvature of mother Earth and the turbulent, cloud-filled sky rolling, lifting(?), approaching (?) in the far distance.  To me it's a little "other-worldly" - especially when I contemplate the size of the illuminated cliff rock in relationship to the two story outpost!  Sanctum, retreat?  My curiosity buzzes - what's it like in WINTER?  I want to know the people who live here.  Yep, definitely - I want to know their story.  I want to feel that small.
 
It's a great big wonderful world - those who are fortunate to travel and see her wonders have to be (in my modest opinion!) more embracing, more humble and totally filled to the brim with incredible sights/sounds/smells/memories.  I know a few of these folks and they are always eager and happy to share their bounty of insights with you if you are curious enough, interested enough.  It's a privilege to simply listen and learn. . .painting the Alaska series isn't the same as being there, I'm sure, but it does give me the gift of time to contemplate, to imagine, - to feel the scope of it and the grandeur.  
 
Another incredible benefit of painting - yes, we can all agree that plein air hold supreme, but I have to say I think I've got the next best thing - good friends with cameras!  
As always, thank you Gene.   
 
 
 

Comments

  1. This is a very lovely one. I have never been to Alaska either. Love the house on top!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts