The Constancy of Change. . .

Winter . oil on canvas . 12 x 16"
available at
 
Is it possible for EVERYTHING to change while you are away, deep in the work of a new portrait commission for seven weeks; busy promoting the rumor that you are indeed a recluse by choice, a workaholic, ready to drop everything in order to reach some creative pinnacle whilst bringing another's vision/dream to a reality? 

 Yep, it appears when I am finally getting back to the necessary reality of marketing, catching up on blogging, seeing what friends are doing on Facebook, etc., underpinnings of the artist's business/social world have changed yet again.   

Minor things, I admit, but the learning curve grows and grows these days, doesn't it?  Blink and you miss out.  Technical changes to social - may I say "business-churning" platforms - happen overnight, and you have to get with the program if you want to continue with any kind of  presence.  For you young aspiring artists, know this is something that will go hand in hand with your studio time.     

I'm still basking in the glow of this last commission, as I will readily admit it was a challenging one for me.  I will spare you the details, but the ending, for me, is a happy one.  I achieved what I "saw" in my mind.  Meanwhile, I won't be able to share it until much later, after it's been properly presented and I have permission.  I'm shifting gears now and thinking about paintings to come, but taking a couple of days to clear my head, SEE the world. 

It's been a hibernating winter, hasn't it?  Spring is on the horizon and the birds are singing - I'm excited about what opportunities may come with its freshness!   I'll share this paragraph I recently read from artist Donald Fox.  I think it's really sums up where I've been for the last seven weeks, and I look forward to posting more often now. 

"Although artists frequently discuss their art by referring to their work,  many of them don't fully equate making artwork with manual labor or office work.  They may say that they are lucky to do work that is not work at all because it is so enjoyable.  This is a bit hyperbolic, though, since no matter how much pleasure may be derived from making art, it also can be physically and emotionally taxing even while it is rejuvenating, spiritually uplifting, or whatever other positive spin an artist may put on it.  There is a bit of paradox here just as with anything that is demanding on one hand and fulfilling on the other." ~ Donald Fox


  

Comments

Popular Posts