Dinner for Two. . .

Dinner for Two . 16" x 12" . oil on canvas
available

Having not painted in well over a week, I predictably find it difficult, at best, to get "back in the saddle" - no pun intended.  The painting featured here, Dinner for Two, is my latest work, a bucolic scene I was given permission to paint by Stephen Wallace, and recently accomplished right before I traveled to Charleston to help my daughter and family get ready for a move.  The thrum of life-change is always playing in the background for all of us, and if you spend any time rubbing up against social media you will witness it daily. . .engagements, weddings, birth, death, divorce, moves, graduations, promotions - you name it, we seldom linger in the same spot.       
 
The generosity of friends and acquaintances continues to loom large, not only in my personal life, but also in my art life - contributing to the feeling of being hugely supported in both.  This is no small thing when you lead a solitary, seeking life.  These days when carving out time to paint, it's imperative for me to reflect, taking great care to NOT overlook the beauty that comes my way.  Daily life with all the trimmings can overwhelm and, speaking personally and honestly, I can totally lapse in the department of truly FEELING emotions.   
 
I love the rush of joy, love, thankfulness, beauty, certainty - washing over to become a great fusion in the depths of one's being.  I always want to cherish these moments.
 
As many know, the flip side of a painter's life is a whole lot of FEAR and DOUBT surrounding their creative "well".  It can be exhausting, maddening, discouraging, terrifying and most often a constant.   I've wondered lately if by protecting myself from this dark side, do I also put out the fire on the opposite uplifting emotions?  Methinks it's a very real possibility and a reason to reflect on the good!
 
 
      
 

 


Comments

Popular Posts