"How do I love thee. . .

Finley  .  14" x 11"  .  oil on Belgian Linen on panel
 
Let me count the ways."  Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnet 43 comes to mind on this grey, snow-falling-morning.  It's not sticking and will be short-lived, but it's been on my wish list for a few days, and now, magically, drifting snowflakes appeared this morning.  As I wind up some of the celebration of the season and start thinking about 2015, I've been drawn to thinking of the people who have made this year very meaningful for me.  Once again I found myself commissioned by loving grandparents who desired a portrait of their "grand-girls" to create a lasting treasure for their son and family. . .a Christmas surprise. 

 
Mary Archer  .  14" x 11"  .  oil on Belgian Linen on panel


I know we think of Browning's sonnet to be about romantic love, a personal tribute to the love she felt for her husband, BUT I choose to read it as an all encompassing tribute to love in general - not just romantic.  How it [love] takes it form and shapes our lives is different for everybody, quite naturally. . .the grandparents who commissioned these paintings are such an exemplary couple who throw out the petals of love and generosity like flower girls walking down the aisle at weddings.  I've been fortunate enough to feel their embrace in a time of need, so being able to capture their grand-girls in a portrait feels exceedingly complete and so right.     

Gift portraits, or "surprise" portraits come with their own particular challenges - the least being that you're quite often working from several, perhaps not-so-technically-sharp, photos.  I know I march to the beat of a different drum as a portrait artist - I prefer the small, more intimate size for our modern generation, AND I don't shy away from big smiles (portrait artists often refuse to paint the pearly whites).  I understand the thinking behind that, but I find we are most attracted to the beautiful, engaging smiles of our loved ones - they often are a hallmark of a child's personality, their very essence!  If it endears a grandparent to think of a child's mischievous (only in the good sense!) spark, then let's paint that, by all means.  
 
As I painted the girls, I reflected an awful lot upon the meaning of sisters - I never had one, so looking at the photos of the two together I was struck by their seeming devotion and closeness.  Arms thrown across shoulders, exhibiting a comradery that will only be nurtured and deeply felt for the rest of their lives, through the thick and thin.  What a joy to have this blossoming, promising girlhood-into-womanhood shared by two very close in age.  I realize this is my own brand of "romantic" vision. . .but it's my wish for these sisters.  
 
So, I leave you with Elizabeth Barret Browning's Sonnet 43, hoping it may linger and resonate for all in this loving, meaningful season.  P.S.  I've put my favorite lines in bold! 
 
"How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, - I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."
 
  
   

   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts