Wrapping up the year. ..

Sunset Scotch . 8" x 10" . oil on linen canvas
 
This has truly been a whirlwind year, hasn't it?  The Bailey Island (Maine) scene featured above is just one of ELEVEN commissions that were on tap this past year.  You can't imagine how exciting that was for me, as having moved two states away from patrons and friends a few years ago, it has continued to be a struggle to build an art reputation all over again.  My art self was busy painting landscape, still life, portrait and figurative - and all along the way I felt both challenged and thrilled to paint with the heart.  My supporters have done just that - supported me, both financially and mentally, and I can't thank them enough.  Having faith in an artist's ability is such a gift, and when pleased with the outcome it is inspiring, not to mention confidence building. 
 
We all need that - often and in good measure. . .
 
I've made new friends this past year and from one of those relationships came two commissions.  Warm and meaningful has been our connection, as I brought her vision to canvas.  Here's the latest one, capturing a moment in time not to be forgotten.
 
Catherine and Elizabeth . 11" x 14" . oil on linen covered panel

 
Madame Gautreau with Cat came about as a dear friend born and raised in New Orleans requested a special custom commission based upon my former painting of Miss X, which featured Sargent's famous Madame X in the background! 
 
Madame Gautreau with Cat  .  12" x 36" . oil on linen canvas

Creating this painting, designing the dress, adding the touches that personalized the painting for my client and her particular interests was a joy.  Note the scandalous strap off her, Madame Gautreau's, shoulder, as requested!
The detail and painting took well over a month to create and included a trip to the studio by her grandgirls to see it in progress.

 
 A detail of Madame Gautreau with Cat!
Other friends featured a painting I did of their house on their Christmas card this year - they had requested their house painted "in snow" last year and we were lucky (?) enough to have two snows that helped with reference photos.  These folks are tireless in promoting me to anyone who will listen. . .and this year they did it on a big scale as they send out well over 100 cards!  Talk about advertising. . . 
 
 

I've recently completed a small still life - my heart will always love still life, as that's how I began in watercolor - but it's a gift to be given in the New Year, so it shall remain unseen on the blog for now.  If you thought I had gone away, as the scarcity of posting might have indicated, I was simply doing what I love with wonderful people right behind me helping to create the magic.  Thank you wonderful people - you know who you are!  The highs and lows of my personal life this past year seem to pale in comparison to the richness painting brings to it.
 
Meanwhile I'm working on a new wedding commission that will be completed soon. . .a beautiful couple in a gorgeous setting. 
I.  Love.  My.  Job.
 
Wishing everyone a healthy, prosperous New Year, and I hope you have many chances to feel  love and peace, while paying it forward.
With gratitude,
Sandy
 
 


Comments

  1. Love your Blog! Wishing you only highs in your life in 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts