Femme Mystique

Femme Mystique  .  30 x 24  .  oil on linen canvas


I showed the beginning of this painting in my last post. . .here's where it has ended up.  Yes, it's available. What an interrupted year (!) this has been so far. . .the "flu" knocked me for a loop for two weeks, then another two weeks to really feel like myself again.  A portrait commission was in progress during those four weeks, and thankfully it was completed and successfully delivered.  It hasn't been "presented" yet, so I can't show it, but I do believe it was some of my finer work.  Soon. . .very soon.

I've been deserting my Facebook business page, choosing to post my work on Instagram.  Please follow me, if you like, as it's under Sandy Donn sandydonnart.  I love the simplicity of it and, in truth, it (Instagram) feels like one big gigantic artist's magazine for me.  I, of course, follow some of my artistic heroes and I've learned so much.  Artists are the most giving people sharing their techniques and tips without reservation.  I'm sure they hold back on the little things they do to make their work stand out, and who can blame them for that?  

Facebook's algorithms meant my followers seldom saw my work unless I promoted my post by buying an ad.  I get it. . .we all need to make money, but the change a couple of years ago seemed unfair to folks who had decided to follow my page and a waste of my time to post!  I do post on my personal page where I keep up with friends and family. . .such are the times we live in - constant change, and just when something is working beautifully for your business, it all disappears.  My mantra is "go with the flow" these last few years.  You cannot swim upstream forever!  

To get back in the saddle of painting after being sick, I decided to keep it simple stupid and do a small painting from life. . .spring's daffodils had been putting on a show (the azaleas are the king of show right now!) SO:




Spring's Promise (available) is a small 8 x 10 linen on aluminum. . .a new surface for me.  The little creamer pottery is a take on an Italian pot given to me by a dear friend.  I incorporated the hearts on the upper part, but decided to not paint all the wonderful design on the pot.  Somehow I wanted the daffodil to be star.  I personally love the ones with the orange trumpetlike corona.  That's the beauty of painting - the decisions are incredibly varied - what to put in, what to leave out, etc.  Though it does tend to make one a little brain dead by the end of a long session!

Here are a few charcoal/graphite sketches of late - very much attempting to get back into the habit of drawing!


My mother, an English rose!

My paternal grandfather, a quiet man of dignity.

Virginia Woolf
Sending my very best spring wishes to all. . .it will be busy as May unfolds with graduations and weddings; lots to look forward to!


Comments

  1. I bought a painting from Sandy and it arrived today. It's beautiful, it's perfect, just what I wanted. What a talented artist she is! Thanks, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy news! Thank you Loraine. . .so appreciate it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts