Latest Portrait

Morgan  .  14" x 11"  .  oil on linen panel

At times people who have faith in your abilities entrust you to make a painting from their treasured and excellent photos.  This was the case with the above painting, and it goes without saying that it was such a pleasure to paint this incredible young woman. Her natural beauty and poise are evident, and she is surrounded by a loving family who are watching her achieve goals with enthusiasm and ability. 

 I am constantly amazed at our youth, for their world is more complicated, more everything than when we were starting out - the bar is set higher these days, but I do believe they have more choices available, more options to explore as they ascend into adulthood. It's an exciting time and I hope this painting serves as a reminder of her certain blooming, reminiscent of all they hold dear.      

In truth, if you read my last post, I was sidelined a bit by a nasty virus or the flu (!) back in mid-February, then an unexpected across-the-country move by my daughter's family.  I actually finished Morgan at the end of the four week virus siege, so I am just now posting due to all the things life brought my way.  In addition, commission work is often not shared until much later, as you know. 

For the artist, especially one who doesn't have a partner to pick up the odds and ends, the lovely ebb and flow of life can really affect your output, so to speak. Over the years I've learned to accept and simply go with the flow, as the first quarter of every year brings a quiet that you cannot waste - you really need to enjoy that lovely respite and be your most productive, exploring self. . .but I have to say, as we slide into June this week, I feel a little behind!  

My thoughts for new work have turned to a more narrative view. . .figurative scenes are brewing in my mind, where I can not only paint the human form but so much more to show a glimpse of life, a true moment in time.  I'll soon be able to show what I'm talking about. 

 Meanwhile I hope you have a happy summer filled with new memories. . .

   

Comments

Popular Posts