The latest commission

Violette  .  14 x 11  .  Belgian Linen on panel


This is the third grandchild I've painted for a particular family. . .there's one more to go and, my gosh, it's such a privilege to create a legacy for this family.  Violette will travel to Durango, CO, in the next couple of weeks after a good varnish is applied.  Her grandmother describes her in the loving term of "our unicorn" - she adores dancing, pink, her little brother, and expresses a zest for life in her photos. Her unique character and personality comes across easily as I find children, unlike adults, are completely transparent. 

Because she lives in Arizona, I haven't had the privilege of meeting Violette, but as I poured over all the photos her family provided me, I felt I did, indeed, get a sense of her.  Although she's full of energy and that element of zest I spoke of, I also detected a quiet seriousness, and it's that which I decided to paint.  Not to wish her childhood away, I confess I'm really looking forward to seeing who Violette becomes as she slides into her teenage and beyond years.  This is, after all, the circle of life.  

With satisfaction I imagine her looking at this informal portrait when she is well into middle age, feeling a connection to her young self with an understanding that, in truth, we don't stray far from our youth - of course, the mirror gives evidence of the superficial changes, yet it's not able to reveal the deeper immortal spirit that's with us from the very beginning. 

Fortunately, you are allowed to stare at a portrait until you transcend the obvious and make a spirit connection. It's happened to me so many times at museums - has it happened to you?  Next time you view a portrait I urge you to stare as long and hard as you like until you have the feeling of a "knowing contentment."  It can be quite magical. . .

Portraits have a long history and a place in this world - I'll be taking commissions for Christmas until October 5th.


Comments

Popular Posts