How's Everybody Doing?

 

A Winter's Sunset . 6x6 . oil on RayMar panel

I haven't been posting much since lockdown/quarantine/isolation. . .pick whatever name you prefer!  It hasn't been particularly hard on me since I spend so much time alone in the studio/house, but at times it does leave one feeling flat; you know, uninspired. But we carry on, don't we?  No matter what comes our way we most often pick ourselves up and get back to work! I've steadily streamed my fair share of movies, read books and worked on commissions, which I'm very grateful to have come my way during this pandemic.  

The little painting above (not a commission!) was the second 6x6 I did at the beginning of lockdown. . .it started as one thing then ended up another which can often happen - snow covered plowed fields with a setting sun behind a tree line seemed to satisfy me in the end, reminding me of farmland from my childhood. There's texture in the snow lines and placed under a light it appears to glitter. It seems many of us have been doing some "looking" back during the pandemic - I can't help but wonder what this coming winter will bring with even more indoor time for quiet and reflection. 

The poets write about it, the naturalists seek it, the artist's try to capture tranquil beauty. . .I can't help but believe we've all found something very positive about our loves and lives during these spring/summer months of 2020. The family time shared on social media I find positively lovely; animals and children have drawn closer to parents in the cocoon of home. Time to not be rushed, time to notice and appreciate. 


Tree Climbing . 11x14 . oil on RayMar portrait panel

What a happy little girl to paint for a grandfather. Her delight at being up a tree gave me an opportunity to capture that thrilling feeling! She, like my own granddaughter, lives some 3,000 miles away, and this will now grace said grandfather's study so that he can visit with her whenever he likes. The best part of commissions, like I always say, is creating lasting memories. 


W&L . 10x8 . oil on linen canvas

Once again, another commission from grandparents for a granddaughter who recently graduated from Washington and Lee University in Virginia. She loved her time spent on campus, and despite the prospect of a new name for the University that comes with controversy, her education and experiences there will enrich her life and not be forgotten.  A dear gift, a commemoration of her successful graduation.   


This painting above, Oceanus, from the watercolor archives, has come back around to me in the form of a client wishing me to produce a "like" painting in oil. I've been working on it through the summer as it's a little different in size and a real challenge! I'm at the tail end now - a little oil glazing might be in order, but basically it's finished and I'll be able to feature it soon. Send good karma please!   

In closing:

I shall not mention the losses in this post except to say we can all agree, I'm sure, our collective hearts have hurt immensely for those who have lost loved ones to Covid-19, along with the side effect of the residual harm that has come to those who have found it impossible to mentally cope with isolation. The meaning of "blindsided" comes to mind, yet we must not lose hope. 

"Hope is the thing with feathers, able to fly throughout the world and touch us all."

~ Emily Dickinson



Comments

Popular Posts