What? April Already. . .

 

Thinking of You . 20"x30" . oil/linen canvas

After these last LONG 365 days I think we are all in disbelief as we move silently by the passing months!  Keeping up with the days, months, etc., has been a challenge to the brain.  I am fully vaccinated now (since mid February) and things are feeling a bit more relaxed, especially for us older folk.  I caught spring fever early and with a bit of zest as it was such a welcome relief to know SOMETHING was changing.  

The large painting featured above came from a small photo reference which I then expounded on, creating new forms as I covered the canvas from right to left. I'm left handed and when painting large I always try to remember to paint right to left - it's just easier that way and I'm not dragging into wet paint all the time -- I don't recommend that!  What you can't see in the photo above (it's only an iPhone pic) is there are shapes in the darks which makes it all the more pleasant to view.  This painting brightened up my studio and my spirit for quite a number of days, and, of course, is available for purchase.


Unfinished . 11"x14" . oil/canvas . Sold

This painting also added to my spring fever.  Spring, after all, is a word of action, is it not?  I purposely left part of my under drawing "unfinished" as a statement.  We are all unfinished, and with that realization coming at my seasoned age, I wanted to express that in this new painting. There are still lessons to be learned, both moral and ethical, new, exciting things to master, (she says laughingly being familiar with this concept when attempting to keep several sites up, running and relevant on the Internet!). They (the secret cyber world behind-the-scenes faces) CHANGE things constantly. :-)  New concepts, new ideas, new books, new podcasts, new challenges, new places to go when we are hopefully virus free or contained, whichever gives rise to traveling again without worry.  A sense of urgency in learning new things comes with an appreciation of our shared Covid days - so many of us have had precious time, more time to accomplish things on our bucket list.


Lydia's Peony . 12"x12" . oil on Gessobord

Yes, MORE floral content!  I have left floral painting by the wayside for too long and it's been a good time to catch up. Nature, after all, has sustained us this past year, right?  This was a pretty spectacular peony in my neighbor Lydia's yard that caught my eye after I moved to North Carolina. My studio overlooked her floral plantings and I took a few reference photos --  that was about a decade ago!  I have a large reference library both online and stored in multiple boxes, from the days before computers!  It's rather a thing all artists do. . .we collect, we tear out, we save all manner of things that spark us visually. 

This particular reference has stayed in my peripheral awareness for the decade, and I only attempted it these last few weeks.  Strange how that works -- strange yet filled with some sense of completion.  Honoring this gorgeous creation by capturing it in paint comes with a sense of purpose. There is a deeper meaning with this painting - Lydia passed away, so young, so beautiful. Sharing a birth month (June) I think of her often and remember her unforgettable ice blue eyes and sweet smile.   

New projects are falling into place. . .until then, stay safe and do get your vaccine!

































Comments

Popular Posts