New work

 

Her Longing Overwhelmed  .  12 x 12 .  oil on gessobord

Available

I cannot overstate how I loved painting this scene.  In poet Mary Oliver's book, A Thousand Mornings, I was utterly moved by her poem, Life Story.  A few lines stayed with me:

"I was the pond lily, my root delicate as an artery, 

my face like a star,

my happiness brimming."

At times narrative and painting seem to fit. . ."my root delicate as an artery" stayed with me. The year of 2020 brought me an unexpected electrical failure of my heart - out of the blue and not related to what I thought was my good health!  I was not even on one medication like so many of my age these days, and enjoyed a vigorous schedule of life, work and exercise quite easily.  My life story was shaken, but thankfully not ended, as a pacemaker now guards my heart, and like everything these days, there's an APP for that!  Yes, your heart can be monitored via your phone to send data to your doctor's office.  I confess to having an intense longing now to press on with my art in a meaningful way. 


Louis (The Look of Love)  .  14x11  .  oil on portrait linen 


Huge happiness at painting this beautiful Havanese dog for his human.  Louis is such a lovely boy who doesn't know a stranger.  His "mama" has even taken him for service training and his joyful presence is contagious to all who come across him.  I too once had Havanese brothers, and I can honestly say the breed is absolutely wonderful.  They are loving, loyal, energetic in a good way, and great with children.  Their eyes speak LOVE  -- I was very honored to paint adorable Louis.


Horsetail Falls (Oregon)  .  10x8  .  oil on canvas

Available

 The urge to paint a landscape is never far away -- on this painting I mostly used a palette knife which is such a great exercise for me.  It's nearly impossible to show all of the texture in this particular painting as it's truly meant to be enjoyed in person. I do love to paint a multitude of greens and it could quite possibly be my favorite color to paint.  I visited this waterfall with my family before I left Oregon in the fall of 2019.  Its aspect and beauty begged to be painted.

My reference library is large and full --- I'm in the process of deciding on what work is to be produced next.  I'm leaning towards storytelling with figures so I'm reading, referencing and looking at images constantly.  I may not be at the easel today, but the magic continues to brew quite predictably. 

I also have been updating all my media sites...you can shop my paintings that are not commissions on my Facebook business page, my website and at my Etsy shop! All for your convenience and online.  The painting below just sold recently from my Etsy:


Enjoy your summer!


Comments

Popular Posts