May Through December 2023

 

Stone Bridge at Lake Katherine, Reynolda Village and Gardens . 18x14 . oil/c

May of 2023 brought us warmer weather to Winston-Salem with the new, bright green growth of spring.  I was captivated by these falls while on a walk and had to paint this lovely landmark in Reynolda Village.  Those who attend Wake Forest University are very familiar with this scene. How fortunate such beauty is available to all who live in this area.  


Maybe I Will, Maybe I Won't . 16x20 . o/c

Having painted goats of the female persuasion I wanted to paint a cheeky boy! Here he is with all his manly bravado. . .I added the piece of grass in his mouth to finalize his come hither look!
I don't think I'll ever tire of painting the ever-expressive goat.




In June I headed out to Portland, Oregon, to spend a heavenly week with my daughter and her family. We visited Portland Nursery where these delightful crows actually live attracting all kinds of attention!  They were under the arbor pecking at all manner of things, but I decided to paint them eating blueberries! This painting has sold. . .it's titled Blueberries Under the Arbor, a 12x9 oil on panel.



Canyon Reflections on a Frosty Morn . 20x20 . o/c

Through the generosity of Al Varland, who shares his incredible photos, mainly of the Black Hills, we artists can use his photos as reference to do as we like.  No strings attached!  This photo of sunlight that was hitting the canyon walls (way above) then reflecting onto the water just blew me away with its beauty.  I just had to paint it.  How fortunate for us artists who aren't able to travel hither and yon to have such gorgeous reference challenging us with the beauty of the natural world.


Summer Bliss. 12x9. oil on linen on board

A wonderful friend and I were commiserating on business having to do with a club we belong to.  Much to my surprise, she has the most incredible rose garden.  She sent me home with so many cuttings of beautiful roses that I had to fish around to find containers for them all.  My house was filled with incredible luscious rose scent for days!  Summer Bliss was just a small sample of what I enjoyed from her garden.  You never know where inspiration will come from.


Downstream Dream . 8x10 . o/panel

Feeling the pull to paint a landscape I created this fantasy scene of a waterfall and stream.  A bit of a take on a couple of the more abstract paintings I had done during the first part of the year.  This came together pretty quickly, and I finally said I needed to just step away and call it finished!  


Lillie Neil . 12x12 . oil/panel

This adorable creature is a dog I sometimes dog sit. She is the absolute sweetest, most chill dog I've ever known.  A true companion who sticks to you like glue, full of love and hugs. Her manner is impecable, and it's a privilege to keep her now and then. I needed to paint Lillie in a pose where she looks like she's ready to talk as we do have conversations! :-)  



Autumn's Remants . 12x12 . oil/linen on board

Another of Al Varland's reference photos from the Black Hills.  This scene was just so beautiful with the undergrowth and trees all turning and getting ready for winter.  The waterfall just added extra bling to the whole painting.  I loved the reflections in the water and confess it was a challenge, but felt happy at the end.  


After Bouguereau, Sketch of a Young Woman . 10x8 . oil/c

As many know I'm a fan of William Bouguereau.  I felt the constant draw to paint a face, as my portrait commissions had been earlier in the year.  I've always loved his sketch so this is my interpretation.  I gave her a bit of a make-over with deeper hued lips, and recently went back in and darkened the background.  She sits on a display easel and is quite striking in a room!


Winter's Glow . 8x10 . oil on linen on board

In December, one paints a snow landscape. . .this started quite differently, but ended up in a good place I think.  The palette knife was used at least 50%, maybe more, of the time and someone remarked about how chilled they felt just looking at it!  My work is done here, haha.


First Snow (Landscape) . 12x12 . o/c

This painting was so much fun. . .started as an imaginary landscape, but turned into this snowy scene!  Lest you think this is all, I had commissions to paint for Christmas, so they won't be shown until after the big day.  All in all it's been a satisfying year for my creative yearning and consequent expression.  This next year I'd like to break some kind of barrier and go over the top with a couple of very large narrative paintings.  A girl can dream, right?  

 I'd like to express my warmest holiday wishes to all.  I'm so grateful, so very grateful for those who follow and seem to appreciate my paintings.  It means everything when this is your chosen path.






























































































































































Comments

Popular Posts