Balance

"Balance" .  Oil on Canvas


I had a great childhood.  But then I lost it (or something) when I had a husband in Vietnam. . .he returned, but not the same.  This sudden turned-upside-down, reality-based view of life came immediately after a nurturing two years in a girl's college.  Soon I became a mother to an enchanting baby girl who managed to bring back a life affirming perspective.  I quickly learned what I was all about while raising a child.  

Years filtered by with bare feet, slumber parties, Friday night tacos and warm Florida nights lit by the street light right across the street.  That light, viewed from the jalousie-windowed porch, was a steadfast security blanket beacon that said all was well in my little corner of the world.  Naturally, divorce, work, family deaths and eventually teenagers filling the space gave rise to me escaping to art. . .an occasional pen and ink drawing as time allowed.

Much later it was checking out books in the library to learn all I could about painting in watercolor.  For 10 years plus it solidly soothed my soul and gave me a place in the world that belonged to only me.  I eventually left a long personal chapter behind to start another, only to find it "out of balance."  Such is life and I know we've all been there at one time or another.     

Now I've traveled to a new place, back to the seasons.  And happily the art continues.  I admit it is unrelenting in its pursuit of my time, thoughts and space.  Oil paint now reigns supreme and the human face has become a roadmap I cannot resist.  This journey was made for me. 

Comments

Popular Posts