The digging down. . .

I'm beginning to think "down" time away from art may be closely akin to eccentric mind chaos. . .and when shared in the company of another artist, I find thoughts fly faster than Superman's speeding train.  Big ideas. . .shooting stars of  how, why, what, when, where and what if come out of nowhere and it seems like a train of thought is hardly begun before another swiftly takes over!  Maybe it's only this particular artist I have this "thought marathon" in common with; it has an exhilarating component along with a satisfied exhausting wrenching of minds digging down to what matters.  When I think about it, perhaps it's because time spent painting is really quite mindless.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."  - Eckhart Tolle  

Anyway, I do believe it's all good fodder for what comes next.  As you know, inspiration can come from the strangest of places, and I have great faith in letting things percolate to the surface.  I must confess I wasn't always like this, as some of you may remember!

Back to "down" time:  stretched across my artist friend's bed while a fashion show was presented.  Hey, this was important. . .the right outfit had to be validated for an upcoming event. . .I was instantly reminded of my fun girly girl youth.  The afternoon stretched into the evening with conversation of clothing left in the dust while we forged on to contemplate the deeper mysteries of life, living, family, relationships and art. 

We artists tend to talk of color, line, process, space, tools of the trade, with mutual knowing nods of the head. . .as if there's a sacred secret at the wellspring.  It's an illuminating relief to talk the lingo because the artistry pervades nearly everything we do/see/touch/taste in life.  That sensitivity is good to be shared sometimes or, at the very least, expressed without someone thinking you're a little crazy!

So, though spontaneous, the "digging down" was perfectly timed. . .I'm reminded once again of timing. . .the importance of letting things happen at their own pace.  I want to commit even more to this way of living.  

Toby in peaceful repose (oil on panel) was finished today.  With a sigh of contentment.  

          

Comments

Popular Posts