I like Miracle Whip. . .

Black Angus . 8" x 10" . oil on panel
Alabama compilation - Jones Valley view from our house with daddy's cows
Oh dear, I've gone off the deep end.  It's out in the open now and I can breathe. . .it's a southern thing, Miracle Whip.  

I have managed to muddle off into the '50's today because, frankly, I'm housebound. 
First, it's a scorcher - hovering around 100 degrees - and secondly, I've gone and sprained my back muscles!  Must remember:  I am no longer 25, dabnabit.  Anyway, don't get me goin' about that - suffice it to say this workaholic has turned to her bookshelves after already finishing The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach.  (Thank you Pam - love it when friends pass on books!)  You'll find the book to be a complete divergence from the screenplay - the flavor is there, but the book is more complex and saltier I think.  Okay, I'm rambling - that's what I do when I'm forced to be quiet and sit still.   

My ramble has taken me to the cook books on my shelves - most from my mama - lots from the 60's.  I sifted through a tiny black University notebook my British mother purchased or was given right after she arrived in this country.  She was jotting down recipes (66 years ago) from her new Alabama mother-in-law.  Boonie (my name for my grandmother) was known for cooking up a southern storm - didn't matter for how many - and boy was she was good at it.  

Mama's well-used Boonie recipes on southern cooking:
Chess Pie, Banana Pudding, Chicken Salad, Stuffed Eggs

My mama took right to it and was a fabulous cook in her own right - a little more "gourmet southern" - and a product of the times, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.  Which leads me to a funny little book passed down with incredible illustrations - you didn't think I was going to just talk about cookin' did you?   Art is right below the surface. . .



The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places - Compiled by Nancy Kennedy, Art Director Arther Lougee -

This little book (just right for the glove box) is straight from Michigan, the Ford Motor Company!  Copyright 1954.  They reproduced in full color the work of 112 contemporary regional artists interpreting the restaurants featured - nicely broken down into five sections of the United States - convenient for road trips. . .hence, Ford Motor Company.  Light bulb moment. 

Here in the South Central Section you see Kentwood Arms Hotel, painting by Louis Freund, and the French-American Inn, painting by Jesse Beard Rickly - both places in Missouri.  Each establishment featuring a recipe.

In Colorado, Toklat Wilderness Lodge, painting by Paul Gallagher, and The Village Inn, painting by Harry Bonath. 

Here's the New England Inn, painting by Dick Dodge, and The Lord's Hill Inn, painting by Arthur T. Lougee - both in New Hampshire.

I'm a sucker for anything with "inn" in the name, or "lodge."  Conjures up romantic, late night dinners by candlelight with handome, Don Draper-kind-of-men who drive beautiful, fast cars and order scotch or a martini.  Told you I was ramblin'. . . 

Well, anyway, you get the drift. . .I've been on the road this afternoon, cruising the highways of the U.S., reading of places that may not exist anymore, and marveling at the paintings, not to mention working up an appetite!  Oh, and for my Gulf Park College sisters, here's the Friendship House on U.S. 90 in Mississippi:

  Painting by Adolph Kronengold

NOTE:  It was still there in the late 60's and where I had a brush with fame one night while on a date, creating a stir as everyone thought I was Mia Farrow!  Yes it was fun and yes I really do like Miracle Whip.  It's comin' back in style you know.  .  .seriously.  Wink.



   



Comments

  1. What an uplifting blog post! Love all the precious photos especially the Friendship House... Memories are wonderful, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Lots of soul in those handed down, written down recipes! Treasures of love.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts