Gifts that grow are best. . .

Elmwood Reflections . oil on linen/panel . 12" x 16"
 
I follow a few blogs - not as many as I'd like, but in the real world time becomes an issue - I can either paint or read!  One blog that I subscribe to, "An Apple a Day" is written by Amy Merrick, a fabulous Florist and Stylist in New York.  www.amymerrick.com and http://emersonmerrick.blogspot.com.   She is perfection in her styling and arrangements - dare I say young, wild, natural and fresh?  Yes, she's all of this and more.  
 
As you begin to read other blogs, you will undoubtedly find out lovely things about the blogger - what inspires them, what they value, what they create; you are let into their lives with the generosity of their sharing.  I first spied the photo that served as the inspiration for the above painting on Amy's blog, thinking it was Amy herself, only to find out later it's her sister, Micha.  They share sister beauty and look very much alike. . .
 
I wrote to Amy and told her how much I would love to paint it, but, of course, I needed her express permission including my having full rights, etc.  She graciously gave me that permission and soon thereafter I began Elmwood Reflections.  Here's the original photo:
 
photo from Amy Merrick
Elmwood is a family home in New Hampshire for these sisters - it's full of heritage, memories and generations of family.  She has written and shared photos of this magical place on her blog and there's no way you can't sense the love of this land and home that has provided so richly for so long. 
 
"Though a tree grow ever so high, the falling leaves return to the ground."
~ Malay proverb
 
Thank you Amy for your generosity in regard to this painting, and for sharing your life along with your floral and styling mastery in your blog. 
 
Artistically you may note that I brought the view in closer for the actual painting - cropping the scene and eliminating some details.  I emphasized the glow and reflection in the boat - these elements are all done in an effort to create what I "see."  Artists visualize and frame things constantly. . .we are relentless observers (note:  can be annoying!).  Just as Amy "sees" her end result with her floral styling, I "see" the completed painting before I begin. 
 
Generosity can often stoke a creative fire just as powerfully as quiet reverence for the image of beauty and a tribute to home. 
 
"He who plants a tree, he plants love,
Tents of coolness spreading out above
Wayfarers he many not live to see.
Gifts that grow are best."
~ Lucy Larcom
 
   
 


Comments

  1. Lovely painting. So peaceful and I love the reflections also. This is a feel good painting! Nice blog post...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts