A push. . .out of the nest. . .


Easter Hunt . oil on panel . 8" x 8"

October is a favorite.  This particular bias comes quite naturally as it's my daughter's birthday month.  Oh how fortunate I am to be graced with her love, compassion, sometimes zany humor - that gorgeous smile - not to mention her old-soul wisdom that often cuts to the chase.  Her laugh is heard often in her home - how wonderful is THAT? 

I purposely pushed her out of the nest (gently) when she was a late teen - knowing that if anything happened to me she would pretty much be on her own, without immediate family.  I felt like she could benefit most by my being near enough to guide, but far enough away to develop what it takes to be on your own, living in the real world.  I held my breath those years.  An "only child" has to hustle to make a full and rounded life - and hustle she did.  Her zest was always evident - still is.

The new painting above is her little-girl-self, in the white dress, with a bevy of friends at an Easter egg hunt. 

Obviously, being pushed out of the nest can happen at any age.  Today I'm thinking/wondering if my "years" are going to be a positive force as I find myself, yet again, in the beginning throes of reshaping my life.  I'm confounded that I find myself at another crossroads, dang it.  I've always cottoned to having a plan and feeling settled, secure. . .for some a pre-requisite for the creative life.  But our lives are not static, are they?  We're all changing, sacrificing, working it out every day. . .finding our way. 

I shall now look to my daughter's example for inspiration.  She's always made it all work out - without losing her way - and those thoughts will lift me.  Ironic, isn't it?  Is this what they call "coming full circle?"  
    
Happy Birthday tomorrow Honey!
With love and deep admiration. . .
 

Comments

  1. Sweet post... I think you are doing just fine, lady! Life is a journey for sure with dips and curves. I think we constantly have to be making changes although it would be so simple if everything could just be easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts