Looking in the rear view mirror, 2012 seemed to be unduly harsh.  Do I really want to go THERE. . .looking back, reflecting?  No, I truly don't want to linger long at all.  It's just a mention.

Elmwood Reflections . oil on panel . 12" x 16"


AND YET. . .
it's the American way (for all my global readers) to take stock of the past year and try to measure it in some way.  Funny thing - measuring against yourself or others should quite possibly be deemed insanity and not a very convincing way to begin anew.  Besides that, it's exhausting. 

detail of my oil painting on canvas

We all know intellectually to look FORWARD, using our gratitude and faith and hope and all the other tools we have at our disposal for "keeping on the sunny side."  No pressure there, huh? 

So, Happy New Year to you and all in your circle of life and love.  Onward I say, with only one wish - that you grant yourself a little tender mercy.  "The moon is a harsh mistress," or so the song goes. . .but it seems we may have a tendency to fill that prescription quite nicely all by our own hand.  Agree?  

What does it take to not be so hard on ourselves?  I don't have an answer for that, and me, myself and I, battle against those familiar voices in my own head all the time.  One thing I do know. . .I want to laugh more this year.  Yep, I'm ready for some real laughter.  I'm also ready for getting significantly deeper into my painting hoping that just a small, strummed chord of it will move you, touch you, bring you closer to whatever lights your world. 

"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."   I was but twenty when this was written below my college picture in a yearbook - truthfully, I was a tad disappointed - I didn't get it!  Ah, youth. . .

Other words written about me at that same time:  "Subdued yet candid.  Always perceptive.  Her love of art and beauty reflect her every move.  With a determination to finish what she has begun - the zest to see it through.  The person on whom to rely. . ."  I remember wondering at the time, where in the world had they gotten that impression from?  Was that really me?   

Reading those words now makes me truly believe that we never really stray far from our core - and strangely, it's often more evident to others than ourselves, thus making it all the more important that we grant ourselves tenderness, understanding and time.  Time to evolve, time to love ourselves and others, time to simply be.  Buy one, get one free. . .

I would be remiss if I didn't say thank you to all who have read my thoughts this past year - maybe have felt them too, for I did step into the "soul baring" pond.  I always look forward to hearing from you and love that you share your ideas right back.  I'll meet you on the horizon as we begin a new year filled with the potent promise of possibility. . .

         

Comments

  1. Your high school was more inciteful than mine. I got "bye" "See at break" "Best wishes to you and Jim"(an old boyfriend that didn't last and now is dead).. I think we all turned out better than okay!

    ML


    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. . .the perils of high school. My comments were after two years of college - a girl's school. So naturally care was taken and some thought was given! :). I shudder to think what could have been written from my high school years. . .seriously! I agree. . .we all turned out better than okay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts