The affair is over. . .

Kiawah Woman . 14" x 11" . oil on panel

Okay, okay. . .that title is a little misleading.  Suffice it to say if you have been reading my blog you know I was in decision mode on this painting the last time we talked.  It's pretty much finished now and the image above is the end result.  (It will be put to the side now so that I can study it from afar and perhaps go back in with subtle shifts in the next week or so.)  What's important, and something I have to keep reminding myself about - over and over - is that I am not attempting to make a copy of a photograph. . .I  want much more. 
 
What do I mean by much more? 
 
I'm not even sure if I know the true answer to that because "more" can mean different things to different people, right?  For me, the more is on an emotional level - a feeling kind of thing.  Simply put, this is what "I first saw" when I spotted this unknown-to-me-fabulous woman in a crowded day-after- Thanksgiving store.  There was so much going on all around (busy was an understatement!) yet she had seated herself in a fabulous, (comfortable no doubt) chair that was for sale.  Surrounding her were the trappings of the retail world - the stuff that sells, the things we want.  But she was deep in thought and very still, both in manner and expression.  Her particular elegance, grace, however you name it/see it/feel it, came through in an instant.  And I will confess she was VERY gracious when I asked her permission to take her photo for a future painting.  I would not have expected less from such a lovely countenance.  
 
Here's another thing. . .although she and I are probably very close in age, I could not get thoughts of my OWN mother out of my head or heart while painting this Kiawah woman.  Wow, that was unexpected and pretty special.  My mom died in 1984 - she was regal and beautiful and had an inner grace.  I suppose I still look, and perhaps long for my mother, even after all these years.  
 
Oh, the untold mysteries that come from capturing moments, and certainly a startling revelation to myself that I have never really aged in my mind because I didn't see it reflected back in my parent's eyes, nor did I see them age.  That's pretty deep, but I have a feeling you understand this to your core and perhaps have gone through the same.  Whew. . .Kiawah Woman gave  much more than she got!   
 
Okay, I'm going to stop there - thank you for simply being "out there" somewhere, reading, feeling and thinking along with me.  It's very appreciated!  I'm always amazed at the global audience that comes to my blog - Russia, Ireland, Poland, Spain, Peru, Iraq and on and on. . .simply amazing and please share if you feel like it. . .I love to hear from you.
      


Comments

  1. She is beautiful and I love all the detail, design and textures throughout the picture. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love her jacket? Yes, a beautiful woman - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts