My strong romantic fantasy. . .

Just Hangin' Out  .  24" x 30"  .  oil on linen canvas

 
"I have such a strong romantic fantasy about things - and that's what I paint, but come to it through realism.  If you don't back up your dreams with truth, you have a very round-shouldered art." 
~ Andrew Wyeth
 
 
Speaking of round-shouldered (literally), I am constantly alarmed at my posture whilst painting, BOTH standing or sitting.  Not to mention all the time spent at the computer - my core is letting me down with the long hours put in this summer, as if there are not enough things to worry about!  I've been wondering of late if the human species will evolve completely, scarily into some other shape what with our texting, twittering necks - oh to be able to come back for just a peek, eh?  I digress. . .I'm really posting to show the fruits of some labor in between recent commissions.  
 
Not long ago, someone mentioned they thought I was a "romantic" and I suppose I'll claim it.  Truth, fantasy, imagination, kindness and beauty have always been a pull for me, and I suppose it comes out in my conversation and to a degree in my paintings.  Sappy syrup doesn't interest me, but heartfelt, meaningful things do.  Painting with a realist eye allows me to sometimes articulate just a hint of romantic ideas found in human nature and the natural world.  If it was good enough for Wyeth, it's good enough for me!  Not coincidentally, his was the first art book I owned.  How I poured over his paintings with wonder.
  
 
Dogwood Grace .  24" x 30"  .  oil on linen canvas 

 
 
 Degas said,  "The artist does not draw what he sees, but what he must make others see." 
 
Probably very true and real to most of us painting out there, whether it be abstract or real.  You could argue that abstraction fills that particular bill more fully, since abstraction seems to be more about interpretation of feelings - what the viewer should/could feel.  And yet people stand for hours in front of beautifully painted realism, experiencing feelings that cannot be labeled!  No matter. . .art is to be viewed and seen with the very soul of the eye.
 
North Carolina River in Summer  .  11" x 14"  .  oil on linen canvas 
 
 

 
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts