Full moon. . .and the benefit of looking up . . .

Anything is Possible - private commission

The featured painting is a large watercolor. . .a private commission of the owner's unique building in Florida.  After scouting around the perimeter of this building at crystal twilight, I was beginning to get discouraged on how I could possibly create something memorable and exciting out of a white building!  The architecture (did I mention how much I LOVE architecture?) was stunning, but how to capture it?  Finally, putting all reserve aside, since there were people milling about, I laid down in the grass next to the sidewalk and looked up. . .ah ha, there it was! 

This unique "position" is an uber-lesson from childhood. . .I routinely visited the undersides of all the furniture in our house that I could possibly squeeze under, spending time studying the bottom of the coffee table or dining table, for instance, often finding those undersides infinitely more interesting that what was seen from above! 

Hmmm....perhaps we could stretch that into some kind of metaphor for all of our relationships. . .once again I'm referring to the "unseen."  I really like the sound of that word as it resonates with mysterious potential! 

I highly recommend this practice to all. . .no matter what age.  It gives you a different perspective on all that you live with daily. . .and whenever I choose to lie down and stare at the ceiling, or the underside of furniture, I wonder why in the world we stop this practice when we become adults?!  Do we all not remember summer days staring up at the clouds?  And in my case, (in the space-race, small-town of Huntsville, Alabama, where the Saturn rocket was born) staring up at the starry heavens while stretched out atop my father's station-wagon, amazed and struck dumb at the mystery and expanse of space!!  Now that I think about it, being on that particular precipice of time generated a lot of collective dreaming and wonder that I'm pretty sure we don't have much of today.

  To keep this lofty tradition going, I recently slid under my granddaughter's play table. . .the two of us together discussing the underside and how positively delicious a "cubby" it made

My point?  Don't really have one, except maybe this simple practice can be a part of getting us out of our usual routine. . .allowing us to re-frame what "is" with a fresh look.  I'm at the end of a large, endearing project, and after spending yesterday making some sense of my office, I'm going to spend today focusing on a fresh look.  Doing things out of routine. . .stretching out of "my so-called box" and maybe even sliding under some furniture!  After all, it's the full moon, which should be honored, AND anything is possible!   

Comments

Popular Posts