From Underpainting to Almost Finished. . .

So, here's an "unveiling" of a painting in process. . .no pun intended!  This is a beautiful bride who was married in California's wine country.  I'm using a New Traditions Art Panel. . .a Claessens Linen that's been titanium zinc oil double primed then mounted on a Dibond Deluxe museum grade panel.  I'm going to say right now that it's a dream to paint on.  If you're wondering, the panel dimensions are 17" x 14".  Because she was married at a vineyard and several fabulous shots were taken towards that beautiful time of day, twilight, I decided to fashion a background that will reflect early evening and show a hint/breath of California mountains in the background.  

Here you'll see things starting to take shape. . .I've applied a "first coat". . . so to speak. . . on just about everything, in an attempt to find a feel for mood and tone.  It's amazing the change from the underpainting to the figure emerging with the weight of skin and a little natural color.  It's a satisfying stage and a good time to do a lot of looking. . .intense, and I mean intense "seeing."  Sizing up, getting comfortable with, looking to see if you want to make any major changes!   I'm pushing forward with my original idea.

 
This next stage demonstrates the softening that starts to take place. . .I've applied yet another layer of paint to everything and have taken time to place various hues in the background. . .to depict the time of day.  Some pinky lavenders fading to twilight blue at the top.  Typically what I'll do at this stage is now bring the entire figure to completion, then I'll go back and finalize the background.  My thought at the present time is that I want to deepen the background colors in the final days of painting.   There's always the possibility of adding a setting sun in the sky; if that happens it will be more important to the bride than the portrait and I'm seriously considering it as it was an integral part of their day.   


Now you'll see I've spent time on her jewelry, shoulder straps and hair. . .I will be adding tones to her skin where appropriate and will continue to model her features and hair. . .and the dress. . .the dress. . .it will be brought to life!  Then the background will be approached.  So, soon this elegant bride and bridegroom will have a lasting keepsake portrait to remember their wedding day. . .did I mention she is a doctor?   A lovely combination. . .as they say, beauty and brains. . .and I have a teeny feeling her daddy might not let go of this particular painting!  More later in the continuing saga. . . .




Comments

Popular Posts