For me and for others. . .



Painting in progress (untitled as of yet)  . 12" x 16" . oil on canvas

When I began this painting a few days ago and the brush first touched the canvas for the rough drawing, I was totally overcome with a feeling of complete joy, of being centered and love of craft. 

Well, there it was in a nutshell. . .my heart belongs to portraiture and the few weeks I had been away from it doing other things, (landscape, figure, animals, still life) was revealing in how much I had missed itWow, such a powerful, edifying revelation for me

Never one to leave things alone, I have wondered to myself why this new turn? what is resonating so strongly for me?  how did this happen?

I've found an answer that just may be at the bottom of my conundrum - it's because it's for me AND for others in a deeply personal way.  This sharing of a moment, a snapshot in a person's life, a well-loved face, is full of all the lovely, heartfelt  things we carry within us.  A remembrance that can warm us on a cold night, fill us with peace and a smile as the years go by, illuminating memories in such a deep way.  To quote a gentleman whose daughter I recently painted:

 "Thank you for putting me so permanently and happily in touch with my daughter.  I embrace you."   

To say this is a most powerful tonic for someone living a solitary life in order to pursue their art is an understatement.  The giving and the connection is incredibly fulfilling and terribly enlightening, uncovering through the dust and cobwebs and paint,  the tender heart - mine and theirs.   

All this and more was hovering over this past weekend, as "No Ordinary Love" was revealed to the "bride" on their wedding anniversary. . .and yes, with a nod to Sade for reasons that will go unstated.   Wink, wink. . .

"No Ordinary Love" . 12" x 24" . oil on panel

"Life begets life.  Energy creates energy.  It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich."  > Sarah Bernhardt




   


   

Comments

Popular Posts