Sold for $2.3 million!

Master copy of William Bouguereau's (1825-1905)
"Girl with a Pomegranate"
24" x 18" . oil on canvas
 
Oh joy!  Tonight while doing some research on Bouguereau's "Girl with a Pomegranate" painting, and Bouguereau himself, I discovered that the original (1875) recently sold via a Sotheby's auction for $2,322,500.  How incredibly fabulous is that?  The whole provenance is in Sotheby's catalogue online, and it's interesting to read of the painting's travels through time. 
 
They (paintings) each have a life of their own, often crossing oceans, living with families for generations, acquired by museums, bought and sold, bought and sold, gazed upon with love I hope.   
 
So, in essence, someone is VERY attracted to the Bouguereau original and it would be lovely to know what they might covet about it, besides the money/investment aspect, wouldn't it?  Surely it can't all be about money - please don't let it be just about the money.
 
I've read so many accounts of devout admiration for Bouguereau's work, especially when viewed in person - the surface must be intoxicating.  Being a French academic artist, he specialized in the "licked finish" - or no visible brushstrokes.  Known for his mastery of skin, hands and feet, it's quite amazing (daunting) to use today's high resolution technology to view every inch of his work from the comfort of your home.  You certainly can't get that close in a museum, although "in person" is naturally preferred and nearly always spiritually moving. 
 
It's so far beyond my meager vocabulary that I'm not even going to try and express how I feel after attempting this copy - I did it to learn, and learn I did - but oh how miserably tiny it can make you feel in your feeble attempt to bring life to the paint.  
 
Interestingly, I read that L'Orientale a la grenade is one of a few he painted that are considered to be in an Orientalist vein, with the jewelry being reminiscent of North Africa.  It mentioned he had never traveled to Egypt, Africa, etc., but instead studied up on the clothing and jewelry.  Hence he totally conceived and captured this moment using perhaps one of the many Italian peasant girl models he frequently hired.  No matter - you may agree that she's an arresting vision. . . 
 
Truth told, I'm not quite finished with this painting - I have a few minor highlights to complete - but tonight I feel as though I've accomplished my goal of total immersion and dedication to "the portrait" these last few weeks.  To begin with a charcoal drawing and slowly see it take form still captivates me to near exhaustion!  I've seriously become a "Johnny-one-note" and will now move on.     
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts