What's on the easel. . .

 
IN PROGRESS!
 
Yes, I'm shouting out that this painting is only "in progress" because it seems like I've been working on this FOREVER.  I'm now as restless as. . .well, I don't know.  I may be putting in too many hours on this project - a tendency I have that can be both horrible and lovely at the same time!  On a more personal note, I'm also not sleeping and that's a whole 'nother topic I won't bore you with.  Suffice it to say, I need some kind of adjustment - just not sure what that could be!  I'm open to suggestions . . .
 
You may ask what exactly this new painting is so I'm here to enlighten.  I had been doing some small 4" x 6" commissioned paintings and somehow lost my way in even thinking about a large portrait painting - I felt like I sorely needed a refresher course - you know, sharpen the chops, get back in the saddle, etc.  I happened to have a 24" x 18" canvas here at the house - it's been quite some time since I painted on canvas, (preferring linen covered panels) so I set about seeking a painting I loved so that I could do my version of a Master Copy.  Naturally I turned to William Bouguereau's work as it simply resonates with such beauty, at least in my eyes.  I settled on his 1875 painting, L'Orientale a la grenade, or Girl with a pomegranate.  His original was very close to the size of my canvas and it had elements I wanted to challenge myself with - clothing, hands, jewelry, amazing headdress!  I researched his palette and began the painting using paints as close to his as possible. . .yet will admit to having finally strayed from that in the last day or two. 
 
I was reminded only recently while reading something, somewhere, by someone (how can one keep up in the digital age?) that a portrait artist has to have skills in drawing/painting landscape, clothing, drapery, still life - all sorts of objects and forms that can shape a narrative about the sitter/client.  All of that in addition to finding likeness and "life" in your flesh tones.  More often than not it's not just a pretty/handsome face you're painting. . .this particular painting is challenging me in all the right ways.  It's very humbling, as Bouguereau's subtlety of brushstroke remains quite breathtaking - the mastery of color shifts and small strokes daunting.  I persevere solely to teach myself SOMETHING that I can carry over to my future work.  I need several more days on this and some glazing at the end - a technique I personally relish and honed in my watercolor days.  Icing on the cake, so to speak.  
 
After being on the road for a week seeing family and friends, I turned inward and very quiet when I arrived back home.  It's not entirely a surprise anymore - I've learned to accept the ebb and flow of my nature knowing that the quiet will spur me to creative action or simply much needed growth, such as working on this painting.   Take your solace where you can dear hearts - it's been a bit of a rough ride, a little sketchy for so many since the coming on of spring, what with Boston and the tornadoes -  here's to some well-deserved happy summer days ahead for all. . .   
    
 
    


Comments

Popular Posts