The art of walking. . .

Walk on Reading . watercolor on paper . 22 x 30

Well, where to begin. . .I'm full to the brim with thoughts tonight.  First, good people, the painting above was an early watercolor, circa late 1990's.  Inspired by the spring profusion of flowers in my neighborhood, I politely knocked on a door and asked for permission to photograph and perhaps one day paint their bounty.  As with most "artist requests" they were very kind, encouraging, and gave happy permission.  I passed these glorious flowers  daily on Reading Street as I took an early morning walk down to the lake and back. . .this was in Florida where the lushness can be thick, primal and oh so greenly green.  I think my complete love of green came from living there in fact.  Although it may be in my British genes of rolling green hills and meadows.  I digress. . .

Walking vast distances has been a relief of late, as it is an old friend and has come to my rescue many times in my life.  Running was my passion until just a few short years ago. . .but walking has always been a mainstay
Time to THINK, time to LOOK with wonder, time to FEEL at one with nature.  We really all must turn to nature when the world seems out of kilter, or perhaps that's a little pushy on my part. . .I should, instead, just gently recommend it. 

 My personal complaints are small. . .getting back to 100% from my fall. . .this is a work in progress and so far it will stretch into August and beyond for resolution.  I painted over the July 4th holiday, working steadily on a painting that is a bit different from my usual style.  A street scene!  I will reveal it very soon as I have only just now gotten an inkling that it will, it can turn into something.  Sometimes that isn't evident until a certain point is reached.  And I will admit to also feeling a bit quiet over the holiday weekend, thinking about  my country and the divisive, extraneous discourse that seems to be settling in quite comfortably as a fixed equation upon our landscape.

So, if you too are not exactly where you want to be. . .and you are looking for your brewing, inspired, beauty-seeking-center that enables you to simply begin. . .I highly recommend walking. . .and if you are unable to accomplish that, then I say surround yourself with over-flowing beauty.  Pull out all the stops!  Nature, poetry, art, books, loving people with big hearts and faith in what you believe.  No looking back!


"Never turn back and never believe that an hour you remember is a bettter hour. . .passed years seem safe ones, vanquished ones, while the future lives in a cloud, formidable from a distance.  the cloud clears as you enter it.  I have learned this, but like everyone I learned it late."
- Beryl Markham



   

Comments

Popular Posts