Georgia O'Keeffe says to her Abiquiu house guests. . .

"Come quickly.  You mustn't miss the dawn.  It will never be just like this again."  > 1951

Truer words have never been spoken, right?  My dawn didn't begin with a vista over the golden desert looking far to the red rising mountains.  Oh no, mine began with a dentist office ceiling (white and finely textured for your information. . .I've always thought a perfect spot for meaningful art) taking care of the minutiae of life and the ongoing effects from my fall in June.  And for good karma's sake I'll say again I'm a lucky duck. . .I will keep broadcasting that fine message out to the Universe, while I continue onward. 

Back to painting and opportunities and acting upon the now thus being spontaneous and not missing the chance to put paint on canvas.  I'll be getting a late start today, but sometimes it's really great to mix things up. . .paint through the afternoon thunderstorm (really praying for that one today), paint through dinner. . .possibly a glass of red wine with beautiful music in the background for ease and pleasure all allowing me to FOCUS on what's before me.   Into the gloaming I will bring this latest painting, Winter, to another level, and possibly to completion.  

Here's how it's looking at the moment:

Winter, 12 x 16, oil on canvas

For me, it's setting the right mood, (hint - WINTER, perhaps some mystery?) very nicely. . .and I will do additional modeling on the right side along with more palette knife work.  The lines, bumps and texture you see on the surface all result from the underpainting. . .which was simply leftover paint spread on the canvas after work every day for quite a few weeks.  To then have a face "emerge" from this crazy cacophony of paint is delicious for me.  The colors dictate the vision!  This could be addictive.  The subdued, grayed tones spoke to me of the winter season.  And yes, there's some very wishful thinking about that in this hot July moment.

   Realist art can often be about attempting a certain level of perfection and this lone technique causes my brain to really relax.  It's not so intimidating.  Still difficult, because of the struggle to create your end-vision, but a little more liberating.

I love this quote:  

"A painted picture is like a vehicle.  One can either sit in the driveway and take it apart or one can get in it and go somewhere."  > Mark Tansey

Whether chasing the dawn or creating a painting that goes somewhere.  It's all about movement and keeping on, isn't it? 
______________________________________________________

To finish. . .another tiny jewel completed. 

Too Small to be a Puppy, 6 x 8, oil

      


Comments

Popular Posts