Quick Oil Portrait Sketch

Bob  . 14 x 11 . oil on RayMar linen panel

I've recently added a new "quick" oil portrait sketch to my commission repertoire - and when I say quick, it's my definition of "Sandy" quick! 
 
 

Far from a formal portrait, it's blocked in and painted in just a couple of days.  An abstract-like background simply giving a hint of what could possibly be there is done with a palette knife.  The 14" x 11" size is perfect - still an intimate size when framed and can be hung just about anywhere without making an overstatement. 

I recently saw a magazine featuring a beautiful home kitchen where the owners hung portraits - wow, both novel and out-of-the-box thinking was my first reaction; great conversation starters (you know how everyone congregates in the kitchen!) plus they looked really beautiful.  If we dress them (kitchens) up with granite, why not portraits?   The quick oil sketch is a great way to honor/surprise/gift our loved ones and anyone else who is important in our life - someone we'd like to "see" on a daily basis.  Don't forget your beloved pets - their presence in your life is a gift.
 
The particular portrait featured above was done from a picture taken at an impromptu dinner party - neighbor Bob was listening intently to lively conversation and I was lucky to catch a moment. 

 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts