When love is the inspiration. . .Marie's portrait

Marie Elizabeth Noble  .  24 x 18  .  oil on linen mounted on birch

 
There are the inspiring times in life when all the stars align and magic happens.  My recent portrait commission from a loving grandfather for his only granddaughter came to fruition under just those circumstances.  You see, my move to a new home a little over a year ago brought me into contact with a neighbor who made me feel spectacularly welcome from day one - his loving, generous heart was evident from our very first meeting.  (Bob is a hugger!)  He had no way of knowing how starved I was at that low point in my life - accomplishing an unexpected move all by myself, doing most of the work, the interruption of my studio life, the painting time - it had taken a small toll. 
 
What grew out of our "neighbor" visits was his appreciation/understanding of art and the process - his late wife had artistic passion and had been an artist, their home filled with her paintings.  We chattered about it all while he began a transition himself - a wedding to his beloved Nancy and a move to not only share his life with her, but to also be closer to his children and grandchildren.  And all along we talked of his pride in his "only" granddaughter, Marie, in her senior year of high school, getting ready to begin an exciting new chapter at college.  I personally had known a granddaddy's love, and I truly had been a daddy's girl myself, so it was easy to recognize the love and pride in Bob's eyes.  It made my heart feel large, for we know it's the most validating love a young girl can receive - it defines her relationships with men for the rest of her life.  That example, support and approval provides a foundation from which she can soar.
 
 
 
Long story short, Bob commissioned me to paint Marie in time for her high school graduation.  It was such an honor and the project kept me warm all through the cold winter.  Warm with memories of my own girlhood, warm with the knowledge that it was to be a surprise, warm with this grandfather's gesture of love and tradition, warm with the feelings we share for our children and grandchildren.  Once again I was given a lovely gift from Bob . . . 
 
And now it's Marie's gift - a portrait to last for generations, capturing her youth and beauty, to be treasured by all who love her now and those who will love her in the future.  Bob and I, together, have made visible this precious, valued possession and he has given it with his heart.   
 
    Thank you Bob and family for bringing this reminder of forever love into my life.  It has settled deep and quiet and still - a well I shall return to often I think.
With gratitude. . .
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts