Value and tone. . .

Ah ha, you may think I'm speaking of art. . .but no, today I'm speaking of the Value and Tone of friendship.  Why you ask?  Well, recently I've had the great good fortune of either speaking (in long conversations. . .something really rare these days!) or corresponding via e-mail with good friends from the past.  We all know this happens in cycles, or at least it seems to be so in my life.  For instance, recently the cell rang EARLY one morning while I was pouring my second cup of coffee. . .it was my former "walking" buddy from Florida, knowing I'd be up. . .we talked for nearly an hour as if we'd never missed a step these last few years!  It was all so familiar as we worked our way through the happenings of our lives.  Always a great way to start the day knowing someone cared enough to call.     

Craig's Croton
This painting was one of my early watercolors and inspired by my long ago good neighbor's lush yard.  We've all grown older now, but just this morning I received a really wonderful thank you for my remembering his birthday, and shamefully, I admit, I was a day late in sending my sincere regards.  How can one put a value on these small exchanges, these unexpected gifts, gems of true feelings expressed in a loving manner?  I believe being surrounded by such lovely people my entire life has set a tone  for warmth and success

So here's a shout-out to those who have touched base recently. . .the difference made by your presence in my life is of immeasurable VALUE.   For tone, you are a source of strength and comfort.  And though far away in miles, my thoughts often drift in your direction as I spend hours alone in the studio.  You've also given me, through the years, the great gift of understanding. . .knowing I am sometimes in total seclusion working on my art journey.  When I finally surface for air, you are there to pick up where we left off, heart to heart.  

Friend quotes:

"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow."
- Alice Walker

"I always felt that the great high privilege, relief, and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing."
- Katherine Mansfield

"To attract good fortune, spend a new penny on an old friend, share an old pleasure with a new friend and lift up the heart of a true friend by writing his name on the wings of a dragon."
- Chinese proverb 

Comments

Popular Posts