Meet artist Stephen Bach. . .an interview. . .

Contemporary Landscape Painting

Where to start when speaking of professional artist Stephen Bach?  We go back years, too many to mention, and actually first met when neither of us were doing painting on a full time basis.  I liked him immediately. . .his easy going unassuming manner, his willingness to give and his witty sense of humor cleverly disguised his true gift. . .his masterful handling of brush and canvas. 

His paintings truly take me to another place and time and his interpretation of light is singularly beautiful.  As for my own personal testament as to how much I admire (read love) his work, I purchased a perfect piece of his as a gift for my daughter and Alan when they moved into their new home.  Hung in their entry way, it was the first thing we did to "bless" their home and set a tone for their peaceful, loving environment. 

Art can do that. . .and in my mind, no one can set a tone on canvas quite like Stephen Bach.  He was kind enough to grant an interview during this busy time in his life, so grab your coffee, a glass of wine or your favorite libation (or not!) and enjoy this small window into his artistic life.


Night Returns - 16 x 20 o/c - Stephen Bach



- Where did you grow up?  And does that "place" have anything to do with your affinity and talent for landscape?  If not, did you have an epiphany, such as when seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time?

I was certainly impressed by the Grand Canyon, but painting it is like trying to drink from a fire hose.  If I have one big fault in painting from life, it's trying to get too much on the canvas.  The subtler qualities of our surroundings is what really interests me.  I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.  My parents were from eastern Kentucky, and I spent considerable time there.  Then we moved to Florida when I was seven.  We would often drive from Florida to Kentucky in my childhood years, and I became infatuated with the changes in scenery between these two very different places.  Changes not just in the look of a place, but the character of that place; what influences the place had on those living there.  Later I was a mural painter for Olive Garden Restaurants for 15 years and traveled to 48 states and nearly every city of any size.  From those travels I learned a deep appreciation for the country's diverse visual beauty.

- Describe your painting space and the best atmosphere for your painting process. . .quiet, calm, people, music?

I work in a group studio (http://www.mcraeartstudios.com/).  We have 21 artists, and while not all artists are there daily, many of us work around each other daily.  My studio is air conditioned and has a couch and I like that I get frequent visitors.  Sometimes it's a distraction, but I like the interaction with friends.  What's better than to work in an environment where you can share the experience of creating art around your friends?  I must really like distraction because in addition to visitors, I listen to the radio all day.  Usually NPR talk shows on the Internet.  (Here's your plug, WAMU, Washington - I promise I will become a member soon).

- You're described as a tonalist, right?  How did you arrive at that particular painting style?

I think I am less a tonalist than I used to be but still focus at times on that style.  One of the first artists who influenced me with his tonal style was Russell Chatham, a painter from Montana.
His work got me thinking about the subtle beauty of low light.  And for me, I've always felt that solitude or peacefulness is most present in the early morning or evening hours.  The colors take on a different character in the soft lights and shadows.  All this really intrigues me and it's a constant challenge to convey that beauty. 

- You're mainly a studio artist I believe, but you also do plein-air.  Do you think plein-air gives your studio painting a boost, or are these techniques really very separate?  

I like to plein-air paint but it has never been one of my painting strengths.  It teaches you to see, compose and edit.  Its challenges include the elements that make painting a physical challenge, and the ever-changing light.  I have come to believe, though, that it is changing my painting technique and influencing how I paint in the studio, which I'm not totally comfortable with.  It's a personal decision as to whether two techniques are constructive when trying to do both well.

- Is it process or end result for you?  Do you linger at the end of a painting or know succinctly when it's finished?

The process never really ends for me.  I am famous for working a piece until it is taken from me, or even when I get a painting back unsold from a gallery.  I want to paint into it with improvements that I invariably see when I haven't looked at it for awhile.  There always seems to be something left in that image that you can pull out of it with paint.

- Can you talk about the synergy of being married to the artist, Susan Bach?

Susan and I met at Pratt Institute in NY while going to school.  She knows the challenges of being an artist.  Her father was a well-known illustrator and painter and her brother is also a very accomplished professional painter.  Susan is a great ceramic artist and has a wonderful sense of design.  We support each other in our pursuits and she has kept me going often when I couldn't have done it on my own.

- Your daily mantra?  What keeps you going?

Fear.  I'm kidding - sort of.  That and a love of creating and sharing thoughtful images.  The fear part is knowing as a professional artist, our continual creativity and marketability provides our livelihood.  That often seems like a tightrope walk.

- Knowing you have a loyal patron base, can you talk about the most satisfying aspect of your art career?

I think the people relationships I have enjoyed in my career are the most important part.  That is the real wealth of being an artist.

- Tell me about your current Cades Cove project, the grant involved, and what it means to you.

I was fortunate enough to get a grant from United Arts of Central Florida for creating a body of work for a gallery show this year.  I chose a theme of Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, mainly because it is a place I enjoy painting.  I have done quite a few paintings of the park.  I wanted to paint one place focusing on its particular character, rather than disassociated places that didn't relate in their imagery.  It has been a good exercise.  But it is more difficult than I thought.  It demands lots of work without being repetitive and that is tough to do.  Still, it's a satisfying way to spend your time.

- Where can we see your work, in particular your upcoming openings, etc.?

You can see my work at the Bennett Gallery (Knoxville, TN., http://www.bennettgalleries.com/) where the Cades Cove show opens on October, 2.  I'll be at the Winter Park Autumn Festival, Winter Park, FL., October 9-10, and the Telfair Art Festival in Savannah, GA., November 12-14. 
________________________________________________

Stephen's interview speaks to the complexity of an artist's life, and I find I'm most moved and inspired by his "love of creating and sharing thoughtful images."  His paintings are to be lingered over, reflected upon for the memories they may recall, and for observing that one nuanced stroke of paint that wondrously, mysteriously transforms it from the ordinary to the extraordinary!  I do hope you find an opportunity to view this artist's paintings in person, and in lieu of that, please visit his website to enjoy what he finds inspiring and thus brings so generously to us.   

The contact page on Stephen's website catalogs his gallery representation.

Many thanks Stephen for granting this interview!







    

Comments

Popular Posts