Risk taking. . .and the full moon. ..

Well, it was a risk taking day on the painting front and I suppose it's also appropriate that it's a full moon tonight. . .the moon and I go together if you subscribe to believing in astrology! 

As I pranced around this morning trying to do anything but work on (read "change") the background of my latest painting, an artist friend called and kindly tried to entice me to stray. . .but I held firm, knowing that today was going to be important in the strength of the painting and I was ready for the challenge.  The beauty of it?  She totally understood and, in fact, offered her wisdom regarding our intuitive "changes" when we think something will make a painting better.  Her validation of intuition could not have come at a more perfect time. . .fancy that. . .funny how we get what we need when we need it!  If you're asking what's the risk (?) well, it's that you've spent hours and hours, even days and often weeks, perfecting your vision, your expectation, and you may ruin it all in one fell swoop!  Risk enough? 

So without further debate, with all intellectual concerns thrown out the window, I went to the studio and calmly painted what my mind envisioned. . .and it worked!  As I often reflect, seldom,  and I'm talking seriously seldom, have I made a change to a painting and regretted it  You can carry that into real life too, with my best blessing.   I say this to young folks all the time when they are stuck and pondering the big questions: 

 "When have you looked back with regret about the decision you made at a huge turning point in your life?"  

Suddenly the light goes on and their faces brighten with wonder and the sturdy realization that they are not living a life of regret and they can trust it will all be okay!  I'm not trying to be a Pollyanna here, but sometimes you just close your eyes and do it.  Risk taking. . .some truly thrive on it. . .I will admit to liking it only in measured doses, being thrilled by its seductiveness every once in a blue moon, or should I say full moon?    

I realize this is small potatoes on the "risk-o-meter" but who's judging?  And now to the full moon. . .have you seen it?  It's been most delicious these last couple of nights and I've taken the time to quietly sit on my deck in the late dark, listening to the cicadas, crickets, tree frogs and whatever else is in my landscape eagerly expressing homage to the brilliant gleam.  The surety of its fullness and its quiet, ivory guarding make all the risk taking well worth it and actually quite small in scale.  

"And I think to myself. . .what a wonderful world."
     - Robert Thiele
- George David Weiss

Comments

Popular Posts