Aimless Wandering. . .

Speaking for me, the middle of a painting can seem like aimless wandering!  The attention to the detail, the building of form, energy, life. . .all in the hopes of pulling together a final painting that somehow  resonates.  It's easy to get discouraged at this stage, but after years of painting you know that you must ride it out. . .see it to the very end, because deep down inside you are so very familiar with this old refrain.  I spent hours this past weekend honing in on all the elements of my current painting in an effort to bring everything up to the same level so that it can be viewed in some sort of judicial way for further development.  That involves not only color, but the modeling of form.


Part of my current "Painting in Progress" 
note texture in the background with a hint of shadow

I find this "middle angst" to be true for both watercolor and oil, as I like to paint in layers after the initial painting is blocked in.  There isn't a lot of wiggle room with watercolor.  .  .each painting is always meticulously planned from the get go in order to save the beautiful white of the paper for the special effect of light.  Oil painting is a huge improvement in that department. . .although from my watercolor days I religiously brush in a detailed drawing first after marking the center of the canvas.  Oil is a lot more forgiving, therefore I find it a little more relaxing to paint; translation:  I don't hold my breath as much!  The weekend was perfect in temperature and tone (ha, my artist term for weather).  It was dark, cloudy, a little rainy and quite perfect for all the aimless wandering I needed to do on this painting.   


Another "snippet" from the painting in progress!



Comments

Popular Posts